TALK ABOUT RANDOM!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Okay, so today was the big bike show and cruise in downtown Dallas. Mitch and John from Bicycle Exchange in Carrollton put this show on again for the second year in a row.

The weather was sunny and in the 70s and they ended up having a great turn out. There was a really great mix of bikes at the show and it was there was a positive vibe about the whole event.

See pics of the show here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13642&start=15#p155611

So after the show the plan was for everyone to go on a 5 mile ride together through some cool parts of Dallas. Being that it was a Sunday the streets were pretty deserted and it seemed like a bit of a ghost town down there.

Everyone saddles up and we all head out for the ride. I'm riding alongside forum member HUTCHXL24 (Jeffrey) and I'm telling him about the 84 Diamondback that I missed out on at the big city wide Rummage sale two weeks ago. We get about two blocks from where they were having the show and this homeless guy comes tooling along across a parking lot on a chrome BMX bike. At first we thought the guy was part of our group and was circling back to meet someone. A couple of seconds later we both realize that this guy is truly a homeless person just cruising along. Jeffrey and I both immediately perk up when we see the gusset and the blue anodized Tuff Neck stem. I yell out to the guy..."Hey...wanna sell that bike?" The guy yells back..."NO WAY MAN! So Jeff and I pull over and Jeff whips out a wad of cash and says, "How about $150?" It was at this point that the dude's eyes light up :shock: :shock: :shock: and he says, "You got it!!" The guy then says...."What's up with this old bike that you'd want it?" Jeffrey tells him that we just collect old BMX bikes and that we clean them all up. The guy was riding around on an early 80s Cook Bros. BMX bike!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a shot that I took of Jeffrey high tailing it back to the car with his FRESH FIND...

Don't forget to click on the images to the see the full sized versions. :wink:

IMG_3806.jpg

Here's a shot of the bike before it made it's way safely into Jeffrey's car...

IMG_3807.jpg

WOW, Just wow. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

What is with Texas and vintage BMX bikes? I've never even seen a Cooks Brothers BMX in person. That was the stuff legends were made of BITD. Unbelievable score!

Dan

I will have to say that we were just laughing the whole way back...it was just sort of unreal.

Here we were talking about a BMX bike that I missed out on a couple of weeks ago and this guy just comes rolling out of nowhere on this super rare BMX and has no clue what it is.

Danimal said:
Does it have the Cook's hubs too?

Nope. Just the CBR frame and fork. Some days you just get lucky. Yesterday was one of those days.

I'll try to clean er up by this weekend and post pics.

That's really cool. I was stoked when I was looking through some of my old stuff at my Parents house and I came across a Cook Brothers seatpost.

Latest posts

Back