Swing bike building

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive had an original swing bike for a couple of years, the thing is a blast to ride. Ive been thinking about building one with a 10 speed drivetrain, just wondering if anybodys tried anything like this.

Lots of the guys who have youtube swing bike videos are doing multi speed. Although I'm not sure if the extra speeds can really be used much with the bike in swing mode.

I'm planning a SB build, and like you , I have an original. I'm thinking a larger size myself, as the one in my avatar is a bit on the small size and I have the sissy bar up all the way, which makes thing a bit floppy back there.

I'm also considering using the separate pivot design instead of the pivot at the seat post, hopefully to get the bike a little easier for beginners to ride and maybe eliminate the need for springs.

I really like the swing under the seat post, I feel like it makes it way more maneuverable. Yeah the originals work for adults to ride but in terms of getting places on them it can get pretty tiring. Im pretty sure speeds would work in swing mode lol, not sure how fast you can really go and still take advantage of the swing option properly, it might get kind of hairy at high speeds.

Im thinking use the back of a 10 speed for the back part and weld the second headset in front of the down tube like one of those americas bike company swing king bikes and put some tall handlebars on the front (I feel like a lot of the control comes from having your weight on top of the rear wheel) but I need to find a second womens steel frame bike to make it cause none of the scrap yards in my area want to sell bike frames. As for the spring issue I feel like it would be tougher to control without some kind of centering spring

Back