Swapping out a hub?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a 3 speed w/ coaster brake wheel. The rim that is on it is 26", but it's too skinny for my taste. The rear rim I'm currently running is just right, so I'd like to try my hand at swapping out the hubs. As long as they are both 26", and have the same amount of holes, this SHOULD(if I do it RIGHT)work. Correct? Thanks.

You can swap them out but if the one rim is 26x1 3/8 and the one you want use is 26x 2.125 then I'm pretty sure your spoke length will be different. Maybe measure both before you disassemble them.

Thanks Rob, for the quick reply. The 3 speed hub is larger than the coaster hub, but as long as I use the spokes that are on it, it should be the same. No?

As long as both rims are the same size like 26x 2.125 than it should work, but if the rim the 3 speed is in is a 26x1 3/8 and the rim your putting it in is a 26x2.125 than I'm pretty sure the inside diameter of the rim is not the same.

This trick worked for me-
Unlace the wheel with hoop you are going to use. Measure the spokes and the diameter across the hub (center of hole to center of hole). Now add spoke length+hub diameter+spoke length. This will be much longer than the diameter of the wheel since it isn't laced.

Now do the same with the other wheel. As long as the two total lengths are close it should work.

Yep, glad I asked, then looked, then read again, then measured,......... BEFORE i took anything apart....... Thanks guys, I think I'm going to take this one to the LBS, and try my hand at a simple 20" front wheel for my first hoop swap. :lol:

Measure the inside diameter of both rims.If they are real close this will work.

Use masking tape to hold all the spokes in position in your original rim.Take out the spoke nipples.(the spokes will stay in the correct position)

Disassemble the new rim,place it on the old rim/spoke combo and nipple it together.

True it.

Done.

Most of the 26" X 1 & 3/8" rims used a 11" or a 11" & 1/4" spoke compared to 10 & 5/8" or a 10 & 7/8" for a 26 X 2.125" rim.

Back