TRADITIONAL Swan Song

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Those of you who know me will probably already know, by the title, what kind of bike I am building. It is my all-time favorite frame. I am not yet sure of what direction it will take, but it will be simple and to the point. As usual, style and aesthetics will be the goal, and of course, it will be ratty, not shiny. Pictures to come. Cheers!

Always fun to see RBT mockups and coolness!

20240505_120604.jpg
Surprise! Now it's time for the crazy mock-ups!

One aspect of the Wing Bar frame that is an eyesore (to me) is the difference in the steering head angle compared to the actual fork angle. The way I correct this is to use the front half of a Monark springer fork (from the same era) adapted to the existing aluminum fork to make a hybrid fork system. It actually disguises the differences in steering head and fork angles and lays the front end out, thus enhancing the already low and long appearance of the frame.
20240505_145156.jpg
20240505_152259.jpg
20240505_152248.jpg

Man i love those wing bars. I'm glad you are not polishing this one like a mirror. I never really noticed the difference in angles but that springer part does a great job visually. Looking forward to the progression on this one.

Last edited:
One aspect of the Wing Bar frame that is an eyesore (to me) is the difference in the steering head angle compared to the actual fork angle. The way I correct this is to use the front half of a Monark springer fork (from the same era) adapted to the existing aluminum fork to make a hybrid fork system. It actually disguises the differences in steering head and fork angles and lays the front end out, thus enhancing the already low and long appearance of the frame. View attachment 264460View attachment 264461View attachment 264462

Yeah, it does look odd alone. Originally they had truss rods that followed, yet balanced, the lines. Similar to what you are doing here.

These bikes originally came with 24" wheels, but I have always liked stuffing the biggest tires I can fit into these old frames. So by using mid-50's Schwinn 24" S-2 rims, I am able to squeeze 3" cream Thick Brick tires down to about 2 5/8" and make them fit in the frame without rubbing anywhere. It creates a very cool visual effect.
20240508_191338.jpg

Last edited:
The only really modern part I am using is this custom (solid steel) seat post. To get the real cruiser look, I like to move the seat as far back and as low as possible. I have to be careful on this old (1937) aluminum frame because this puts a lot of leverage pressure on it, but the post extends about 7" down into the seat post which keeps it stable and tight.
20240508_191008.jpg

Last edited:
These handlebars are early Schwinn Sting Ray's from 1963-4. They provide a comfortable upright riding position for an adult-sized rider. The grips are reproductions of prewar Elgin Twin Bar style. I haven't decided on the stem to be used, but it will be similar to this style. The overall look I am going for is starting to come together
20240511_161456.jpg
20240511_161518.jpg
20240511_161504.jpg

These bikes originally came with 24" wheels, but I have always liked stuffing the biggest tires I can fit into these old frames. So by using mid-50's Schwinn 24" S-2 rims, I am able to squeeze 3" cream Thick Brick tires down to about 2 5/8" and make them fit in the frame without rubbing anywhere. It creates a very cool visual effect. View attachment 264844

Even though these came with 24 wheels, they can still handle most 26" wheelsets. The wingbars and the original SK frames aren't your typical 24" frames. They really were 26" sized frames that just happened to have 24" wheels.

Here is the Chop Shop Customz seat post in place. It nicely relocates the seat position rearward and lower to facilitate a larger, adult-sized rider. View attachment 265164View attachment 265165

How are you securing the seatpost? There no seatpost clamp. Don't these usually require a quill bolt seatpost?

These handlebars are early Schwinn Sting Ray's from 1963-4. They provide a comfortable upright riding position for an adult-sized rider. The grips are reproductions of prewar Elgin Twin Bar style. I haven't decided on the stem to be used, but it will be similar to this style. The overall look I am going for is starting to come together View attachment 265169View attachment 265170View attachment 265171

This is really looking great! I truly regret ever selling my Wingbar frame without ever building it out even once.

Even though these came with 24 wheels, they can still handle most 26" wheelsets. The wingbars and the original SK frames aren't your typical 24" frames. They really were 26" sized frames that just happened to have 24" wheels.

How are you securing the seatpost? There no seatpost clamp. Don't these usually require a quill bolt seatpost?

This is really looking great! I truly regret ever selling my Wingbar frame without ever building it out even once.
The 26x2.125s fit on them, but I am not sure that the fenders would have had enough clearance. The 24x3s are actually about 26.5" tall, so they cannot be used with fenders either. The seat post used with the original shim collar is a very tight fit. Then I just give it a couple of extra taps with a rubber hammer and it is very tight. You are making me feel guilty about talking you out of your old Wing Bar frame. This is not your old one. I have two frames. This one and another one that needs a small repair. They are both for sale

Last edited:
You are making me feel guilty about talking you out of your old Wing Bar frame. This is not your old one. I have two frames. This one and another one that needs a small repair. They are both for sale

Don't feel guilty at all man. I've done my share of SK frames and still have other builds in my head to keep me busy. They truly are beautiful frames. I am going to enjoy seeing your build with this one.

Don't feel guilty at all man. I've done my share of SK frames and still have other builds in my head to keep me busy. They truly are beautiful frames. I am going to enjoy seeing your build with this one.
This is probably my last build. That's why I named it Swan Song. Just not up to it anymore. I will be selling what I have left this year. I've built over a hundred bikes in the last 15 years and I plan on posting pictures of them all. It's been fun.

Back