Sup in ATL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what up, names Joey. Currently in north Atlanta and just found this forum. I am currently working on an old Hawthorne I found on my wife's reservation land in New Mexico. Her mom told me that her and her sister bought from a an old thrift store in 1965. SS, full fender's, c. pin cranks, spring saddle. I am doing up rat style.

My question is, the serial numbers are on the rear drop out, BB has a grease fitting, on the back side of the down tube has a coat of arms crest, and the head badge has birmingham stamped. It is a single hump frame also. I will try to get some pics. So from this info anyone tell me the year. Numbers are 25856 NM.

Welcome from New York City! I am sure somebody can help you identify the bike's year once you post some pics..

Thanks for the welcome guys. Cool to see this forum all over the states and not just in a region. I have clear coated the lightly rusted raw frame, leaving some old pin striping around the head badge. The fillet on the seatstay's showin the brass. got an old leather spring saddle. I have got to build a set of hoops on the old hubs, they were rusted through. The crank set is whats gonna set it off. I will get some pics soon. Next on the blocks is an 82' Schwinn sidewinder, Tange fork, high flange gold ano acs hubs arayra hoops 1x5. CLUNKER!!

I got some photo's of the hawthorne. I have been working on this for some time and just realized That i have been photo doc my work. Kinda of a bummer cause there is a cool story behind the bike. While visiting my wife's grandparents outside of Santa Fe, NM. I spotted this old bike leaning on the old shed on the reservation. I asked around and turns out her mom and her sis bought it in 1965 from a thrift store in Espanola. The bike was complete and completely rusted from being outside for decades. The hoops on the wheel set, saddle, bars and stem were rusted through. This bike has been named the Black Mesa. For it sat at the base of the Black Mesa which is my wife's tribe's sacred ground. San Idelfonso Pueblo Indian. This just a mock build with parts I had in the garage. Looking to capture a board tracker/ streetcruiser look.
DSCN0204.jpg
DSCN0201.jpg
DSCN0196.jpg
DSCN0195.jpg
DSCN0197.jpg
DSCN0190.jpg
DSCN0189.jpg
IMG_2269.jpg
[/img]

The last photo is the Black Mesa itself.

DSCN0204.jpg
] Lots of elbow grease, this bike was is real bad shape. Still deciding what to do with the chain guard and fenders. I was really bummed out about the bars being rusted so bad, would have been perfect for inverting.

Still wondering if anyone knows what year or model this frame is. I have it finished now and will get some pics up soon. It rides really good, I squeezed in a three speed and rear hand brake. I was even able to find a set Cornell Clipper white walls for it. Next project is a 52 Schwinn and an 82 Schwinn clunker.

Back