Summer Build Off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to my parcel drop and picked up the fork for my build-off bike, delivered via Fed-Ex this morning. Postman hadn't been by yet, but my hubs and rims should be there for me to pick up later in the week. (Rubs hands together, laughing evilly)

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

I think I am going to enter again this year after all. I don't have anything too ambitious in mind, so even with the yardwork planned this summer I should be good.

Here's my parts pile. I already have most of what I need. The biggest challenge will be to make the aluminum frame look like a '40's - '50's rust bucket! At least to those not well versed in vintage bikes. LOL
e69d967a7de1bd2555a737f1c0d47501.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hopefully found a frame. It's in there somewhere on the wall hanging up. I visited this place in Manila about five years ago, but didn't have the dough to make a purchase. It's amazing what these guys have in their shop. I could spend all day just browsing around, and their webpage shows a lot of their parts and bikes. I saw a long row of frames back then that all had rear facing dropouts. It's an eight hour roadtrip there and back from my new home, but worth the travel. https://bzkleta.weebly.com/vintage-bicycles.html
1586894467886.png

Hopefully found a frame. It's in there somewhere on the wall hanging up. I visited this place in Manila about five years ago, but didn't have the dough to make a purchase. It's amazing what these guys have in their shop. I could spend all day just browsing around, and their webpage shows a lot of their parts and bikes. I saw a long row of frames back then that all had rear facing dropouts. It's an eight hour roadtrip there and back from my new home, but worth the travel. https://bzkleta.weebly.com/vintage-bicycles.html
View attachment 116717

Wow they do have quite a collection of old steel. Lots of eye candy.

Sent using Tapatalk

Wow they do have quite a collection of old steel. Lots of eye candy.

Sent using Tapatalk
I walked in there not prepared. Like finding pirate's treasure. We took so long in traffic I only had about 15 minutes there, but it seemed like 30 seconds then time to go so we could get home before midnight.

View attachment 116717

So....how do that many vintage US bicycles end up in Manila? US troops leaving them behind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 116717

Tell Lee and Rea hello for me!!!!! Great people and incredible collection.

phillipines.jpg

So....how do that many vintage US bicycles end up in Manila? US troops leaving them behind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee is a master picker and has been at it since he was a kid. Turns out that since the US had such a large military complex in the Philippines for so long that quite a few bikes made it there. He was hitting every nook and cranny of every farm way before the American Pickers was a show. It is like the Filipino version of Chesnut Hollow. He also repops a lot of parts. When I was there in 2017, they had me over one night and we talked old bikes and had some good food. Awesome bike friend memory for me!!!

phillipines2.jpg

it's been many years since I've joined a build off here. If I get laid off, I'll probably join in. I have a heavy duty frame I could build.

it's been many years since I've joined a build off here. If I get laid off, I'll probably join in. I have a heavy duty frame I could build.

In that case, I HOPE YOU AREN'T IN THE BUILD OFF!!! :D

hahaha, yes. Thank you. Me too.
I think we're running it for 4 months. So even working, I'm hoping maybe you could squeeze in some time to build. I'd like to see another one of your builds.

Carl.

This is going to be my entry. I’ve had it for years, so might as well do something with it.

Attachments

• DDB01FA2-E24B-44F3-B9A0-34FFA7FEF117.jpeg
    DDB01FA2-E24B-44F3-B9A0-34FFA7FEF117.jpeg
    827.1 KB · Views: 94
Ran across a bit of summer inspiration today.
47b21db4cb9090e8b51d3f916972b57e.jpg

Sent using Tapatalk

Back