sturmy archer?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was woundering if anyone knows about the indicator chain on a Sturmy Archer 3 speed hub? I got a 1970 schwinn Collegiate the other day and the indicator chain and cable where missing. :cry: So i tride to get one on epay the guy took my money then said i cant find it , got my money back. So i found another guy on epay but he has differant styles. The letters on the hub are AW 69 12 3speed. Anybody know what it needs, and do you have to take the hub apart to get it in?

Thanks Mike aka maddogrider

If your missing the chain entirely you should be able to thread a new one in without taking the hub apart.The chain is atached to a small metal rod that threads into the hub,called an indicator rod.I will check around ad see if I have one for you.Also,check this page for info on your hub.

http://sheldonbrown.com/sturmey-archer/aw.html

-Kreep-

Kreep is correct. I unbolted my SA rear end without taking off that white plastic cover and so that cover turned the chain as I turned the bolt. So the chain eventually dropped out of the end of the axle.

It has a threaded end on it that just came unscrewed. I stuck it back into the axle and turned it and it tightened right back up.

So if you get the correct chain it should be easy to put it back in.

OK, I have another question about these... How does the shifter cable attach to that indicator chain? I just got an unused NOS S/A shifter with a cable, and there's nothing at the wheel end of the cable. I understand that little indicator chain has one end that threads into the hub, and the other end has a threaded adjustment collar, but it seems there has to be another threaded piece that attaches to the cable with a nut or something... and this threads to that adjustment collar, right? Or what am I missing? I'm getting ready to start hunting for a S/A drivetrain, and I want to know what all to look for...

btw, there's a GREAT S/A reference page here:

edit: duh. oops. same page that kreep posted...

just below the hub identification chart, there's a section labeled "3-speed cable adjustment" that tells all you need to know about that little chain (it's called an indicator spindle), including how tight to thread it into the hub...

thanx!

--rick

Get an extra anchorage that screws onto the indicator chain and clamps onto the bar end of the cable.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/stur ... tml#cables
sturmey-anchorage.jpg

Back