Sturmey Archer X-RDC drum brake hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am looking to put a rear brake on my cruiser and this hub seems to fit the job.

Anyone with a personal experience with this hub? Having a cassette option, I can play with my chainline easier using a single speed spacer kit.

Just have to worry about on how to route the brake cable housing, I guess.

Any input appreciated, thanks! :D

By the way, this is the bike I am working on. Already have the SA X-FD front hub, and SA coaster.

Where did you get the fork clamp for the front brake arm that fits the wide front forks? The one that came with mine was too small to fit on a fork like yours. And I have another bike I would like to install a front brake with forks like the one in your photo.

It is a seat clamp with shim. It would be nicer and easier to install if it was hinged. This will work for now.

20130216_100047.jpg

Re: x-fd hubs on fat forks: I used a hose clamp to fix mine on some Landing Gear forks; has worked without a hitch.

Re: the x-rdc hub.... I have experience with the x-rdf (same thing, but with threading for a freewheel instead of a cassette freehub body. Awesome brake, running the rear cable on my Worksman was certainly easy enough. I'm thinking your frame is spaced at 135, in which case, you'll have a drop-in situation. However, I think the smallest you can de-space it would be to 130mm, so if your frame has narrow rear-drop-outs....

No problem to spread a steel frame, but aluminum fatigues differently and I wouldn't do it if the frame isn't spaced appropriately. The freewheel version can be spaced anywhere from 135mm down to 110mm.... However, like you said, the freehub body will give you a lot of chainline options, if you run a single cog and spacers...

Thanks, yeah I haven't really measured the rear spacing yet. But the dropouts does spread a little bit when you undo the hubs, I am guessing it is set to 135mm as well.

Thanks for the feedback, I was hoping you have the cassette freehub. I read somewhere that the freehub pawls doesn't last long, hopefully its just a defective batch back then. I am quite excited to get mine in the mail and get it laced. Really struggling with coaster hub when used offroad, the brake engagement is really far back especially with low gearing.

I bailed on that hub once i saw that they didn't sell replacement FHBs. That was without hearing they had weak pawls. I'm sure you'll get a lot of miles out of it though.... If you're really lucky, it'll take a shimano...

Bicycle808 said:
I bailed on that hub once i saw that they didn't sell replacement FHBs. That was without hearing they had weak pawls. I'm sure you'll get a lot of miles out of it though.... If you're really lucky, it'll take a shimano...

I have seen a SA with cassette freehub taken apart and unfortunately the freehub body is not Shimano. Looking closely though, it might take a Shimano pawl 8)

Abbynorml said:
The seat clamp was a very clever idea! I don't know how you got that on there with out scratching the forks, nice work.

you can spread it open using the same bolt, thread it in on the other side and put a coin in between the gap to act as a wedge.

i use this old trick to open quill stems to mount handlebars with awkward and almost impossible to mount bends.

Back