Sturmey Archer questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up an older 3-speed on the cheap and it is missing the brake-side (left) axle nut. How much of a specialty item might this be? Orchard, LBS, Harris, RRB?

Also, I'm wondering about oil for the little filler. Is Triflow or T9 good for this or is an all-purpose, old-school oil better?

bebanovich said:
I picked up an older 3-speed on the cheap and it is missing the brake-side (left) axle nut. How much of a specialty item might this be? Orchard, LBS, Harris, RRB?

Also, I'm wondering about oil for the little filler. Is Triflow or T9 good for this or is an all-purpose, old-school oil better?

i say just call harris and be done with it. i'd also check the 'no spin' washers and make sure they're ok, harris has them as well.

i'm not a big 3 speed guy, but maybe some tri-flow to loosen things up, then a dash of heavier stuff once you know everything's working. :)

bebanovich said:

Use something light for the 3-speed hubs triflow will eventually gunk things up. Transmission fluid also works well for the hubs.

My LBS has had axle nuts for all my needs so far.
As for the hub, they use a light grease on SA hubs. Their explanation is that there are no seals in the hub to keep the oil in,and the grease doesn't leak out. I have a bike with an SA AWC hub that they lubed with grease, and have had no problems.

Back