Sturmey Archer Drum Brake Pinch Bolt

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I'm building up my first authentic Klunker- think Alan Bonds, pre-war DX frame, drum brakes, etc- and have run into a road block that I know one of you guys can help me solve. I apologize if this thread should instead be in the "Wanted" section but I landed it here because I'm also looking for suggestions on how else to get around the problem of not having this specialized part.

What I need is two of these pinch bolts that SA sends with their complete drum brake cable package. These are included to allow the user to shorten the supplied brake cable if needed. It looks like this:

8523458478_5e51a40b28_z.jpg

I've found a few different retailers online that are selling them for about $3.50 a piece which I think is perfectly fair. But when they charge me $10 to throw two of them in an envelope and pop them in the mail? That's when it becomes a little cost prohibitive to buy online.

This is what they look like once installed:

8523507800_65467b738a_z.jpg

So, does anyone have any in their parts bin that they wouldn't mind parting with? Or has anyone ran into the same issue and has come up with a good work-around?

I picked up two cylindrical steel spacers that look like they'll seat in the SA brake arm and plan on drilling a hole in them to allow the brake cable to pass through. I figure I'll crimp some sort of ferrule on the back side so that the brake cable can't pull back through the cylinder. Trouble is, after everything is cut and crimped, I have no way to adjust the tension in the cable beside whatever I can get from the adjustable barrel in the brake lever.

Thanks in advance.

As I remember at one time you could get cable stops at a good hardware store in those rows of parts boxes.......but I'm old. Do your own with a spacer but use a threaded 10-32 electronics spacer with 2 set screws and a hole drilled in the center of the spacer Radio Shack or the hardware store parts boxes.

Right on. I think I follow. I saw some little hexagonal pieces that are used to join all-thread rods together. I think I might be able to find one, cut it to about a cm long and drill a hole through it and that should give me the body of the pinch bolt. Two set screws from either side should hold the cable in place. I may just take a file to the sharp chines of the hexagonal shape so the piece sits better in the round brake arm cutout.

Are you saying you've seen round cylinders with threads through the middle? That would obviously save me some headache. Didn't see any in the local Lowes and our Radio Shack is all but worthless but ill keep my eyes out.

Thanks for the tip!

Back