STURMEY ARCHER 3-SPEED TANDEM CABLE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a problem finding a Sturmey 3-speed gear cable, in a tandem length. What I'm doing is putting Sting Ray bars on my Schwinn racer, and the cable is too short, no kiddin' right? :lol: I figure I can use the tandem cable, and cut off the shifter end of the cable wire and fabricate a new end, and shorten the housing of course. Is this the best way to go about it? You can see in the pic, the shifter only reaches half the way up the bars. I haven't been able to find anything here, on RRB'S about this, but I'm sure alot of you have either lengthened or shortened these, I would appreciate any comments.

SchwinnRacerRay.jpg

put the shifter on the bottom of the bars or the seat post. :)

you could always connect the shifter cable to the index chain via a solid rod. just break out the tap and die set and match the threads on the end of the cable/indicator chain.

if you can find the correct diameter threaded rod, , you'd just need a long nut/tube(threaded on the inside) to connect the index chain/rod. the cable would thread right on the other end.

Icy, this is funny, bouncin' back and forth from gear cables to wheelie bars :lol: , anyway, I might mount the shifter somewhere other than the handlebars. Gotta go back and check if theres a wheelieing pic yet!

I have those little adapter pieces that thread onto the SA chain and then you can use any cable with it. I also have some universal cables and they are generally real long and you cut them to length. I can see what I have if you think you are interested.

hey bud, heres what i was talking about.

brass tubed tapped on both ends (matching the sturmey thread)brass is soft an easy to work with. thread a matching bolt in one end of the tube and cut off the head (this will connect to your cable) the indicator chain threads in the other end.

sturmey extension bar.
IMG_4438.jpg

icyuod2 said:

brass tubed tapped on both ends (matching the sturmey thread)brass is soft an easy to work with. thread a matching bolt in one end of the tube and cut off the head (this will connect to your cable) the indicator chain threads in the other end.

sturmey extension bar.
IMG_4438.jpg

Genius

icyuod2 said:

sturmey extension bar.
IMG_4438.jpg

I guess I'm a little slow today, after I read it about 4 times...I GOT IT! VERY GOOD SOLUTION!

I've slipped a brass tube over the cable and soldered an extension cable on the other side of the tube.

icyuod2 said:

sturmey extension bar.
IMG_4438.jpg
Nice save ,it looks a little more sanitary than the one I did on my first buildoff bike, Back Alley Sally ,might have to try it.

Very clever. I have the same problem with my tallbike. I use a Shimano 3-speed with a coaster brake and the cable is a little shy of being comfortable. When I need to shift I have to drop my arm down for the shifter. Sometimes not a good move. I had a coasterbrake hub but the 3-speed gives better gearing at slow speed.

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it.

GL

Crassly said:
I have those little adapter pieces that thread onto the SA chain and then you can use any cable with it. I also have some universal cables and they are generally real long and you cut them to length. I can see what I have if you think you are interested.

These work really well. Then you can use any cable you want.

pic from http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/stur ... parts.html
ZHSL746.JPG

I would like to thank you for the replies, jimw1960 I have choppersus bookmarked and don't know how I missed that, thanks. And crassly, thanks also, what you have would be perfect, the only housings that I've seen, (non tandem), have been black...white IS what I wanted but,I think for the time being I'll try icy's idea and see how that works for me. Thank you much!

Back