Sturmey Archer 3-Speed setup ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(There may already be a thread on this.)

I am trying to figure out how to reconnect the cable to the hub and don't understand what I'm missing. Is this a snug fit? I don't remember losing any parts when I dismantled everything. Any help or pointing towards help would be great. thanks.

huh.jpg

The end of the cable should be soldered into the barrel that is screwed onto the threaded end of the chain. It would appear that either a section has been broken off and lost, or you rerouted the cable so it doesn't reach any more.

Did you cut the cable at that point? If you did, you did it wrong. If you loosen up the barrel part there, you will find the end of the cable. It has a crimp on it that fits inside the barrel. Time to get a new cable.

I am now recalling giving the cable a good yank... woops.

Thanks for the help/confirmation--I really appreciate being able to get feedback from you guys. It seems most of the local shops in my area aren't interested in these old machines.

they do sell the threaded barrels that will attach to a regular cable, works best if you cant find the original cables in the length you need.

sprucemoose said:
I am now recalling giving the cable a good yank... woops.

better it broke at home rather than on the road :D

Back