Sturmey Archer 2 speed/Skip tooth question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a set of 26'' Alienation hoops with a new Sturmey Archer 2 speed kick back hub, I want to use a skip tooth chainring on the front. The question I have is can you cut off every other tooth of the 2 speed cog and make it work with a skip tooth chain? it looks like it would work but thought I would ask before getting the grinder out.

Thanks

A number of people here have done that. Not a perfect fit, but apparently it works well enough for casual riding. I would expect if you really racked up some mileage it would put grooves in the rollers.

Maybe you can use the existing rear skiptooth sprocket as a template and use it to grind down the SA sprocket, if the diameters are the same.

Of course you can cut off the extra teeth and it will function but the chain will be a loose fit.
The tooth profile for a "Skip Tooth" / "Inch Pitch" is not based on a 1/2 inch chain. The fact is it is neither a Skip Tooth or an Inch Pitch chain. The chain is based on the two separate links a 3/8 and a 7/8. The cog profile is for a 7/8 chain. This means the drive teeth are quite a bit larger than a regular 1/2 sprocket.

Now those are nice. Proper tooth profile and dirt cheap for the work involved.
Of course you can't fake it with a 1/2 inch pitch chain.

I have not had time to get the grinder out yet, think I will try and buy the one on Ebay, I did get the wheels done....

72a981fb.jpg

402385f3.jpg

fcf22c54.jpg

The sprockets are different thicknesses. 1/2 X 1/8 VRS 1 X 3/16 chains with the last number being the thickness/width....

this may sound newbish ... but couldent you just have the LBS take and swap the cogs.... i mean if you have a single speed coaster hub with a skip tooth cog and take and have that cog mounted on the SA hub? I ask cause im looking to do this for a CWC pre war frame im building on now.... and sorry if im jacking a thread just looked like the time to ask. 8) if not i might just pick up one of those cogs off ebay.

The short answer is no.
Back when inch pitch cogs were common they almost exclusively were thread on. Most hub manufacturers (except track hubs) used a proprietary thread so that few interchangeable.

And even if they weren't, the skip sprocket is too thick.
Point well taken. This is why the maker of these new cogs has counter bored them to the correct thickness.

you could always do what I did and weld one on the top other after cutting and fitting the pieces together.

c.p.odom said:
The short answer is no.
Back when inch pitch cogs were common they almost exclusively were thread on. Most hub manufacturers (except track hubs) used a proprietary thread so that few interchangeable.

WOW the guy at the LBS said it could be done.. go figure ....so i guess the sturmey skipt tooth from ebay would be the way to go.....Thanks fellas...

Back