Stumped on Shelby Fork

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Hello all.

I am stumped.

I'm trying to use a ladies Shelby fork on my men's Shelby frame. Of course the steer tube is longer than it needs to be. I need another 3/4 inches of thread. No big deal...I grab my trusty chinamart 1 - 24 tpi die...no dice! I measure...it's Definately 1 inch diameter and I count roughly 24 threads in an inch but still no! I went through all my parts and tried all my threaded races on this fork...none fit.

I saw recently where somebody cut slots in there threaded race to use as a die but I only have one that fits. I can cut the tube and reweld shorter but that's a last resort.

Any ideas? Is Shelby it's own strange thing?

What would you guys do?

I don't know what the 1-24 die will do to these threads tho. I tried 2 dozen other upper races and only the one that came with the fork works. I just fit it up again with the bearings in the cups and it's really only 1/4 inch off. Maybe I should space the lower race?

Do you have another steer tube with which to perform a quick test? If so, I suggest you carefully try threading your Shelby upper race on a different 1-24 steerer just to see how it fits. I'm with Horsefarmer; it sounds like your threads are a bit buggered.

Ok...I just tried to thread it to another steer tube. It threads on but it's loose. Not tight fitting like the shelby fork. The threads look very good to me. I tried to get a pic...
IMG_20171008_155043.jpg

I'll try to put a chamfer on it, but I'm inclined to think it's just a slightly different pattern.

I doubt it's a different pattern...they're just cut a little more deeply. I experienced something similar with my own Shelby Flyer, but I simply wrote it off as old rusty parts. The original locking ring was completely wasted, so I substituted something modern. Installation was tough and required lots of lube. Again, I didn't feel that the threads were different, just crusty.

At this point, I doubt there is any practical way to precisely duplicate the snug-fitting Shelby cut--you're stuck with chasing the threads. I can't help thinking that a thread file would be an excellent tool to have right about now, but I'm also guessing you don't...have one, that is.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back