Stuck headset!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have suggestions on how to remove a stuck threaded headset? The wedge won't break loose when I tap on it with a hammer. Is penetrating oil my best bet?

The stem is stuck in your fork with a threaded headset. Can you remove the bolt and slide the stem out? If so, do that then try to beat the wedge through the bottom of the fork. If not, then repeated applications of penetrating oil over the course of a week may help.

I had to do this with an old middleweight fork I was using. The quill wedge from an ancient stem was rusted into the steer tube down quite aways and prevented me from being able to install a new stem. The combination of soaking with PB Blaster and driving with a long punch eventually got it out.

Like previously said, soak with penetrating oil and beat out through the bottom. Normally whenever I take out a quill style stem I loosen the bolt and give it a good wack to knock the wedge down, until one day I beat and beat on the bolt with no success. So I took an extension and put it in the bottom of the fork and with one wack the wedge came loose revealing that I had beaten the stem bolt into an "S" shape. Oops. You can also try a torch through the bottom hole as well.

Soak, beat, heat.

Yeah sometimes they can be a little stubborn, Just spray it with penetrating oil and keep trying it. I have one that had to soak for a week till it finally let go.

Thanks for the tips everyone! I work all weekend so it will be a few days before I can really get started. All I have done so far is remove the stem bolt and spray some oil on top of the wedge. Oh, I also bent the bolt by hammering too hard, but luckily I was able to straighten it back out. I will update.

In the case of mine, I couldn't drive it out through the bottom - the bottom of the steer tube was closed save for a 1/4-20 tapped hole for fender mounting. I had drive through the 1/4" hole to push the wedge out the top. So your results may vary...

Back