Stretched RatRod Crusier

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first build on RRB. I found this Micargi Mustang at a yard sale

i.ashx

It was a little rusty and missing parts but i loved the shape of the frame. At first I wanted to turn it into a Trike but realized since I don't have a truck I would have a hard time taking it places.

i.ashx

i.ashx

I tore it down and cleaned the rust off of the chrome and figured out what i wanted to keep and change. The rims had several broken spokes and it is missing the chain guard.

i.ashx

i.ashx

The tires were dirty but in good shape so i cleaned them and put then on the new heavy duty wheels

i.ashx

Putting it back together. New bearings, chain-ring, chain and pedals complete the drive new drive train. I also added a set of street sweeper fenders.

i.ashx

i.ashx

We own a decal business so I made myself a set of pinstripe graphics for the fenders. I thought for this build i would go for the Vegas look. I used dog collar spikes as the bolts holding the fender mounts.

i.ashx

i.ashx

Changed the bars to ape hangers. As I was taking these pictures a guy on a fat tire chopper drove buy and stop to ask about this bike. I guess it is going in the right direction.

My next steps are to work on the seat and tank plate.

That's looking really good. I'm thinking of putting a banana seat on my stretch. I already have a laid back seat post but need to sit even further back.

My wife is convinced this one needs a banana seat and sissy bar. I am about 5'8" and I don't think I can sit any farther back.

I have some leather left over from a steampunk project, that I may use to reupholster the seat. I want it to look like an Indian Bobber seat with hand stitched edges. I may try also my hand at using a soldering iron to burn an image into the leather.

Here's a picture of a stretch with a banana seat. I'm 6'5" and thought my stretch was great until I got my Basman and now the stretch feels cramped and I have the seat jacked up already.

Stretch-Banana-Cruiser.jpg

big_bicycle1.jpg

Starting work on the Seat and Tank plate

It was a two part seat
i.ashx

i.ashx

I had this leather left over from another project. I am going to give is big lace stitching a the back.

i.ashx

I traced the shape of the space in cardboard and i am going to cut it out of a piece of a 28 gauge steel sheet.

More to come after the weekend.

Good lookin' bike - nice job!

you own a decal biz? waterslide? or vinyl? do you realize how much biz is available to you, right HERE?Website?email addy?wow,dude,give us more pics of what you DO!!!! (start a new thread, with a link to a for sale thread......)

Looks good man. I need to get a set of those fenders where did you get the supports from?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Voyager Al said:
you own a decal biz? waterslide? or vinyl? do you realize how much biz is available to you, right HERE?Website?email addy?wow,dude,give us more pics of what you DO!!!! (start a new thread, with a link to a for sale thread......)

Voyager Al

I put some info on what we do in my intro thread

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=70432&p=687621#p687621

I am not selling these right now as i am working out how to make them easy to apply or at least give very good direction on how to do it. And not over work myself in the process. Both my wife an I work full time jobs and decals is a side home business.

len

Voodoosmile said:
otroo said:
Looks good man. I need to get a set of those fenders where did you get the supports from?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

The fenders are a set of Nirve Street Sweepers and comes with the supports. I got them at one of my LBS's Chubby's Cruisers: http://www.chubbyscruisers.com/shop/nir ... er-fenders

Len

Thanks man Chubby's was out so I ordered a set from Amazon.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Finished reupholstering the seat

i.ashx

i.ashx

i.ashx

Not super straight but I am happy the way it came out.

I cut the tank plate out and sanded it down it is ready for Prime and Paint.

i.ashx

This is my idea for the graphics on the tank. I am still tweaking it.

i.ashx

It is going to be a busy couple of weeks so I won't get a chance to work on the tank for a while. If i can hold off

wow, this bike is turning out nice. cant wait to see the tank

Back