Stretch Ratty

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, love your forum.
I've been working on a homebuilt frame over on motorbicycling.com, but now that the bike is coming together, i'm not sure i want to foul the look it by adding a motor. So i figured i'd copy the thread over here.

This is what i started with.
22072010553.jpg

Strange little short thing. it does have a nexus 3 speed coasterbrake rearhub, but the gears are not in use on this picture.

Let's stretch it! This is more or less the rake and wheelbase i'm going for.
07082010559.jpg

I'm kind of wanting it to look like a early motorbike from the 1910's. With a gastank inside the frame.

Now i don't know what to do with the bottom tube yet. There will also be another tube under the toptube to place the gastank on.
08082010561.jpg

08082010564.jpg

Got the bottom welded today, as wel as the extra tube in the middle. The welds are really ugly so i started grinding them smooth, but i might leave them as they are to enforce the ratty look.
15082010570.jpg

I even got round to taking the thing for a testride. I got a springer fork for a nice price, so might not need to make me a whole new frontend. But as it sits now, the front is way too high, so i'll need to address that.
Can you spot my stupid screwup? I made the rear lower frame exactly where the chain is supposed to go... Bot, this option is kind of cool, when you pedal, the middle sprocket turns the other way. Looks kinda weird, but in a cool way.
15082010572.jpg

Don't know what to do with rims and tires yet, but i found this in my shed, so i might go that route. And maybe a couple simple vuelta downhill rims or something (found those in my shed aswel :))
15082010573.jpg

i've lowered the front now, cause i didn't like the large gap between the headtube and the front tyre. And the middle tube is now sitting level. Just look at how much clearance the pedals have!
18082010579.jpg

18082010581.jpg

18082010582.jpg

O, and i moved the saddle back for my ideal pedalling position. Looks better too.
And look at that cute little kickstand :)

Thanks! I was going to leave it raw, but when i passed through the discount isle at my LHS, i found a nice can of hammerite orange-red-brown-ish primer. So i started painting it yesterday. It's a very thick paint, and i'm using a brush, so the result will look more like tree branches then painted steel :D

Dr. Tankenstein said:
I like this, A LOT!
Where did you get the 'struts' on the springer? I like them more than the 'stock' type, more boardtracker looking.
I'm definitely inspired by your bike.

Cheers!
Dr. T

Thanks! The struts are the stock ones. Only i accidentally sat on them... :mrgreen:

Hoeha said:
Dr. Tankenstein said:
I like this, A LOT!
Where did you get the 'struts' on the springer? I like them more than the 'stock' type, more boardtracker looking.

Cheers!
Dr. T

Thanks! The struts are the stock ones. Only i accidentally sat on them... :mrgreen:

Seriously?? You're kidding right? :roll:
Because I've seen ones like them before on this bike:
http://www.tretharley.de/phpbb/download/file.php?id=3151&sid=8ddfbbb20acfc3018f3d8f4d4d8dfa2a

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Hoeha said:
Dr. Tankenstein said:
I like this, A LOT!

Cheers!
Dr. T

Seriously?? You're kidding right? :roll:
Because I've seen ones like them before on this bike:
http://www.tretharley.de/phpbb/download/file.php?id=3151&sid=8ddfbbb20acfc3018f3d8f4d4d8dfa2a

No i'm not kidding. I had seen the bent ones on forks before, but the fork i could get cheaply didn't have them, so i just bent them when i lowered the front :D

Back