Strange bicycle...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here is a question.. I am considering trading a bicycle for.. well.. another bicycle. Here is the problem, I do not have any pictures at the moment, but it seems to have 3 different names to it. The head badge said Mercury (under it said Murray), and the serial number points to a roadmaster. It is an older bicycle with the skip tooth and the double spring front. I was talking with a friend, and they said that maybe it was when Murray's company went on strike and other companies were making their parts. Could this be a possible answer? I will post pictures as soon as I can. The serial number appears to be: 105473, and there was a small 2 above the serial number. It looks to be all original parts minus the headlight, but otherwise I am very confused to say the least. It is a neat looking bicycle, and I would like to make the trade, but I am worried that it could just be some Frankenstein sort of deal. Thanks!

Mercury never made bikes... it was a badge. Same with Roadmaster. Roadmasters were made by CWC, then AMF, so... But, yeah, AMF made most of the Roadmasters. FWIW, Mercury-badged bikes were top-line Murray builts, and I think they're all pre-war. I bet yours is a Murray-built Mercury, and the serial might seem Roadmaster-ish, but it's probably just some random number they used in the 40s.

That's a guess; I could totally be wrong, and I hope others will chime in.

Thank you for the input :). And sorry I was having a major brain fart with that. I know that Murray was a company and those were brands, but I have had a long day :43: haha. That is interesting.. though. I did not know that Murray had serial numbers that were just numbers. Good to know.. I am thinking it will be a good trade then. It will take a lot of work to restore it, but I think it could be worth it. Hopefully more input will come along.

... I did not know that Murray had serial numbers that were just numbers. Good to know..

Ha... I don't KNOW that; that's just my best guess. In my experience, though, companies that had serial numbers spanning 8 decades are likely to have used a few different systems throughout their history. I've never seen a Murray with an all-number serial, but you got what appears to be a Mercury badged Murray with an all-number serial, so...

Back