straight bar frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a bike from a buddy last weekend, not sure what it is. No head badge, serial # is partially there. He said he believed it to be a Cleveland Welding Co. bike.

Can anyone confirm or shed some light??? thanks.

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

I'm no expert, but I have a '51 CWC 24" boys bike that is very similar. The serial number is A60222 AC with a small "w" in the "C". It has been IDed as a 1951 CWC "Jet". The rear dropouts are idenical to your frame. The rest of the frame is similar, but yours looks like the joints are smoother. Maybe its a few years newer?

SlowPed said:
I'm no expert, but I have a '51 CWC 24" boys bike that is very similar. The serial number is A60222 AC with a small "w" in the "C". It has been IDed as a 1951 CWC "Jet". The rear dropouts are idenical to your frame. The rest of the frame is similar, but yours looks like the joints are smoother. Maybe its a few years newer?

Thank you for your help! How did you get your bike ID'ed? Is there a CWC database out there? I looked online but no luck.
Thanks again- Cliff

I got my info from LEON DIXON/NBHAA.com. I guess there is discussion both ways as to whether or not it's worthwhile to go to him. I paid something like $26 for the info. It was the first old bike I've ever purchased and I came across his website and had him ID it. I'm comfortable that the info I got was accurate. As far as the fee, I don't have a problem with it. I knew the cost before I made the request, so that was OK. It took about three weeks to get the info. The only issue I had was that the photocopies of the catalog pages had a HUGE stamp across them that said "This information provided courtesy of...etc". First of all if it was "courtesy of..", it should have been free and secondly the stamp took up nearly a quarter of the page. And it wasn't like a watermark, it was a black stamp that actually covered up some of the details on the bike I would have liked to have seen. He has a lot of notices of copyright on everything, which is kind of strange, since he wasn't the original producer of the material and I doubt he has bought the rights to the info. I don't think you can claim a copyright on other's published works, but I could be wrong.

Anyhow, if I had it to do over, I would probably spend some time on here and The CABE and get the same info for free and get more enjoyment out of the experience, to boot.

My 2 cents

Thanks for the advice SlowPed, I appriciate it much! After looking at the serial # closer there seems to be a "AC" or "A3" after the "f28640". I will keep investigating.
cheers,
-Cliff

My 53 CWC looks just like your frame. Serial starts with an E or F, hard to tell, but it shows the 53Cw. So, yours is a 51 probably.

6fs8yw.jpg

2hn0ztd.jpg

Cliffy541 said:
Thanks for the advice SlowPed, I appriciate it much! After looking at the serial # closer there seems to be a "AC" or "A3" after the "f28640". I will keep investigating.
cheers,
-Cliff

See my post above. Its ACw. The w is inside the C. Its 50 or 51 I have the chart at home I can tell you the exact year

ratina said:
Cliffy541 said:
cheers,
-Cliff

See my post above. Its ACw. The w is inside the C. Its 50 or 51 I have the chart at home I can tell you the exact year

Thanks! If you can tell me the exact year that would be great!!!

Latest posts

Back