Stirrups belong on saddles!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just picked up a really nice Schwinn Traveler I figure from the eighties it had a flat on the rear with those really thin tires that I cant really read the size on, so it came with a brand new tube in the bag below the seat I figure I would change it has the quick release rims so bam pop it off and proceed to take the tire off and it looks like some kind of glue holding this thing on an the bead was starting to rip so I stopped, put some slime in that bugger and she is holding air just fine. So I cleaned it up, found a home for my Brooks seat and figured I would try it out. I never had a bike with stirrups never needed a bike with stirrups but since it came with the bike I assume I would leave them on. lesson 1. Dont try stirrups with sandals on....oww hamburger toe. My son tried to show dad how its done.....didnt happen. I'm sure there is some proper way to slip your feet into stirrups but I am not giving birth so I dont care seriously why do the strap parts always fall to bottom of the pedal maybe I am missing something but a pedal change is looking very promising as I would really like to ride this bike :cry: :roll: :cry: :x

Ha Ha...I'm with you man...I hate those toe straps.

I'm sure there are all kinds of good techincal reasons for wearing them and if you rode with them enough you'd get used to them, but for someone who never uses them, the whole concept is a bit nerve racking.

I've sold a few bikes with these and I never have tried putting my feet in them. Guaranteed I would lose my balance, forget I have the goody things on and come crashing down.

I have always had them on my MTBs and like them. I never cinch them down but they are just tight enough to keep my feet in place.
I remember once years ago on my road bike with clipless pedals and shoes. Didn't get my foot unlocked in time when stopping and fell over :oops:

Back