Stingray triple tree forks on a 60's middleweight?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine has one of the OCC Stingray choppers sitting around, said I could have the fork if I wanted.... You think it will fit on my new rat project without too much work? We live 2.5 hours away, so I don't want to make a blind leap if I can help it.

If the OCC Stingray you have is the same as the one we have over here in UK then the steerer tube will be inch diameter, which I believe is the same as the middleweight, but it will likely be too long and need shortening- no problems there. The fork legs will be way too long and will need shortening, unless you are raking the frame significantly or you want a seriously high BB! Shortening the fork legs is not a real problem, as they are steel. The problem will occur if you have the cheap pressed steel top yoke which bolts into the top of the fork leg as you will need to replicate this, welding in a threaded insert is easy but will destroy the chrome on the fork legs so a press fitted insert will be a better bet if you can machine- or get machined- them. If you have the forged ally top yoke then it will be easy.

Hope this helps

Check which fork top yoke you have on the tripple trees before giving up, post a pic if your unsure. If it is the ally clamp on type then all you will need is a hack saw and sawing guide.

Back