stick shifter and nexus hubs

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question. I am considering buying a new 3 speed nexus hub for my project. I would like to use a 3 speed stick shifter on it . I was wondering if the stick style shifters would work with the newer hubs or if only the click or twist grip shifters are the only shifters that would work. Thanks

Im running a nexus 3 speed with a Sturmey Archer sportshift stick...works fine but 1st is 3rd and 3rd is 1st.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sorry for being a complete noob but is it difficult to hook up? or simply just remove and replace

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k304/ ... 0_1498.jpg
I used the Sturmey cable hooked to the Nexus. Not too tricky, just a little adjusting...
100_1476-1.jpg

just waiting for my SA mini shifter to arrive... would really appreciated advice about how to hook it up to the nexus.

So the dead stock sturmey archer mini sportshift deluxe arrived today.

Unpacked it an no idea how to fit it to the nexus hub on my electra ratrod 3i

Calling out for help from the experienced.

Here is a picture.
http://t.co/8BxXl6Yj

taking a look in to it dates back to 1967 and found this:
pic-111.53.jpg

but still not sure about the nexus end

the Nexus has a plastic cover on the piece that attaches to the axle. Remove it and you'll find the cable end.
Remove the orig. nexus cable and put the S/A cable end in there...may have to cut cable to length, I use a cutoff wheel on a grinder but make sure a little cable is cut too so the housing stays "open"

thanks for your fast reply. the nexus is in the shed so not to hand.

will it be the bare cable end or do i need to attach the small nut and threaded end? sorry for vaguenes

bare cable end. Theres a cable clamp down "device". One small phillips screw on the bottom to remove the plastic cover...

thanks found this as well which helps illustrate what you were saying... think i get the install... next i need to get my head round fine tuning the set up.

shame bot going to be able to get on it for a few days

finally attempting to fit this.. it seems i have what i need but the clamp for the frame is a bit too small

this can be a right faff to get sorted I had to mess about adjusting it and remove the SA cover plate as had to reduce the size of the mount clamp and it was too big.

Mounted on the rear of the frame suicide style with a horn on the other side. Will get some pictures up soon

Back