Stem for 7/8 bars?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I just got an order from Electra, fork struts and bars I am putting on my 07 Schwinn cruiser. I made the 23" struts fit with a little bending and they look awesome. Problem is, the ape hangers I got are 7/8 size all the way through. I guess I need a new stem ? - will I have to use a bmx style stem or does someone make a stem like that to fit a threaded headset on a cruiser bike?

I am fairly new to bicycle stuff (I'm a motorsicle/car guy) , so school me up!!

Thanks!

BMX style clamp

or

shims

do you know the fork tube size ? (1" or 1-1/8")

if its 1-1/8" you can get by with the larger sized quill (22.2mm), but if its a 1" youll need the smaller (21.1mm) quill.

you could get some shims but in reality i think the BMX style clamps down better (especially on apes), but not as classic lookin IMO

The bars are 7/8 outside diameter throughout, they don't have the "bulge" up to 1 inch like most bars.

Oh, & I saw those shims, might give those a try....

I believe the steerer tube is 1 inch inside diameter, not 1 1/8. I think all the Schwinn cruisers are like this.

I was kinda hoping somebody made a quill that fit 7/8 bars that still looked "old school", but I dunno - that BMX one you pointed out to me might look kinda bad@ss. You're right about the increased clamping force too, might be the way to go.

Thanks

I went down and got some shims from my Bike Guru (karfer67), at my LBS. I'm gonna give those a try first.

Back