Steel pipe sidecar build?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really wanting to build a sidecar for my little girl to come riding with me (she's 4), but I do not have a welder or the money to buy one. I'm thinking that with the proper design I can make a basic one using mostly threaded steel pipe.

It would only be for short distances at low speeds in our little suburban neighborhood.

What do you guys think? It is feasible? Going to try to build as cheaply (but as strongly) as possible. Anyone ever do something like this and made it work?

maybe electrical conduit to cut down on the weight???

the used bike trailer idea is a good one, you get the wheels, axels, etc. to use.

Yeah, it doesn't have to be heavy-duty steel pipe. Just my first thought. As stated before it would only be for slow-speed rides around our suburban neighborhood. It would be attached to a seldom-used bike so I'm not worried about weighing down my primary bike.

The electrical conduit idea sounds really good. Hoenstly even some large PVC would probably do the trick since it only has to support a 36lb child at slow speeds.

Ok,started building the sidecar out of wood. Pine 2x4 box with cedar planks for a floor. Gonna use a Harbor Freight wheelbarrow wheel for it. It's gonna be ugly, it's gonna be heavy, but I'm trying to do it as cheap as humanly possible. It will literally only be for riding up and down our suburban road and to the park with my little girl at very slow speeds. Pics to come, eventually.

Alright, idea scrapped. Decided instead to spend the money on a Schwinn Meridian trike and put a rear seat on it. Pics when it comes in.

I tried to make a side car out of the back axel of a 3 wheeler by taking off one of the wheels and fabricated the study supports of the frame work so it doesnt stripp or bend the bicycle.Cause of the bicycle having to be evenly straight. :roll:

old stick welders are cheap on craigslist. I got one recently for $25. with tons of rods. gets the job done. people rave about the $100. harbor freight mig. heck even if you only use it a few times a year its worth the cash

Back in the day us guys played with a couple different brand sidecars, they are all heavy! The alloy ones with narrow wheel/tire combo worked the best. Even better was a passenger (dummy) who knew when to push!
The hard part to make would be the clamps for the frame....
Like others said, welders can be.had cheaper than an ambulance ride.

emt conduit would work good, you could use a small diameter emt and make a cage to make it strong and safe. I might have to try this.

See if your library has a copy of "The fantastic bicycles book."

A 70's book about modifying bikes on the cheap, there's a plan for a sidecar made primarily from conduit. :wink:

Back