STEED 18-speed Mountain Bike from Steeda Enterprises, Inc.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20180404_160923.jpg
IMG_20180404_160847.jpg
IMG_20180404_161023.jpg
IMG_20180404_160904.jpg

So I recently bought this Bike off of Craigslist for 25 bux looking for something to Klunk or just fix up and it was quite an interesting find. I never heard of the brand and it seems this bike must've been from the 80s and the Manufacturer was based out of Houston. What I noticed was how the full suspension was set up. the frame itself was 3 parts and the suspension spring is quite large, plus you change the position of the top of the spring along the top tube. It also has Sakae SIS Shifters and Derailleurs, it definitely is going to get new tires, grips, and pedals when i get ready to start fixing it up, and thinking Hot pink on the tires and grips LOL. Has anyone ever ran across this type of mountain bike before ?

Interesting frame! Worth $25 just for the weirdness. Does the shock still work? I assume it's an oil shock and I imagine the seals would be gone by now.

Isn't it more likely from the early 90s? I didn't think that there were many if any full suspension mountain bikes in the 80s.

Probably blown seals—the spring will still do its job, but it would feel squishy and a little bouncy. I would be amazed with the age if it wasn't blown.

The colors are definitely 80s/90s cusp. Teal and pink?! Crocket and Tubbs could have ridden a pair of those through the streets of Miami as some part of undercover gig to bust a bicycle drug ring run by Frank Zappa.

@93EXCivic The colors made me think of the 80s but yeah i want to say late 80s early 90s, just looked at the rims and they are made by Lovers (couldn't find anything on the internet on those) the drivetrain is a combination of Shimano SIS (both derailleurs) and the crank is a Sakae XR100, looked it up and it has been on bikes between the 80s to early 90s as well. Also there's an old Bicycle license on it from Vassar College so i'm see if i can find some info through that too. I'm guess that's where the seller went to college in his younger days.

Last edited:
@Duchess I definitely want it to keep the 80s aesthetic, I'm gunna put some Hot pink MTB tires on it and grips as well. it's interesting that it only had shocks on the frame and not the forks, that's also why it think it's from the 80s.

Interesting suspension. I would make sure that front bolt is secure (maybe replace it).
I would date this bike to the mid 90's based upon the components (brakes, cranks, shifters).

@Duchess I definitely want it to keep the 80s aesthetic, I'm gunna put some Hot pink MTB tires on it and grips as well. it's interesting that it only had shocks on the frame and not the forks, that's also why it think it's from the 80s.

I didn't even process that it had a rigid front fork. That is super weird...

IMG_20180414_203413.jpg

Welp after a second attempt, got some hot pink tires for the Steed, got the brakes going and gears still shift well even though may need to get new shift cables. Neck is stuck due to a stripped allen bolt :| Might get new pedals next. Also adjusted the suspension spring to be a bit stiffer. and put some pink handlebar grips on as well. Oh, and had to add a couple of washers to the front rim to fill some gap in the fork.

Luckily today I managed to get the stuck stem out (with some oil and alot of brute force ) it will be replaced with an adonized purple neck i first ordered for my cruiser, but was too small for it.

Back