BO15 SteamRoller - Finished 1st THANKS!! - CompareTwinWinsVerBotenSteamRoller

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked out regular Rustoleum Metallic Silver and did a stripe test on my testbed fender . I like this combo with the coppertone.

20200725_102939.jpg

I had a wild idea of lime green and coppertone and just had to see them next to each other. FAIL. :D

20200725_103000.jpg

This is why I tested the green.

91244996_152540286016139_616423103710363648_n.png

But decided agaist it.

Actually, what made green pop in my mind was I had been checking out @gowjobs High School Dropout build where he used this Burnt Copper as a base coat and I saw the green pinstripes he had. Looks incredible on his bike, but I don't think it would work well as one of the primary colors on my build.

1595719211742.png

So, I am basically at the point with SteamRoller where I need to start breaking down the bike and getting ready for paint.

On last mechanical piece is to cut the steertube length. I have this great Park Tool made specifically for this job. It is a great little guillotine when you use it with a hacksaw.

20200725_125800.jpg
20200725_125909.jpg
20200725_130041.jpg
20200725_164505.jpg
20200725_164633.jpg

This fork had brackets and guides for both drum brakes and disk brakes. I have no plans of using either, so I wanted to clean up the fork legs a bit.

20200725_165440.jpg
20200725_165442.jpg
20200725_165445.jpg

So after using a cutting wheel, bench grinder, a lot of filework, and some sanding here she is.

20200725_180510.jpg

I haven't checked in lately and may be a little late to the show since you are starting paint, but I noticed something in your latest ride pics that looked a little off to me.

I'm thinking that the chain guard might blend a little better if it was dropped in the front ( and possibly raised a little in the rear) for the top edge to follow the same plain as the rack. Coincidentally it would also be parallel with the chain stays.

Here's what i mean...
nature boy.jpg

I haven't checked in lately and may be a little late to the show since you are starting paint, but I noticed something in your latest ride pics that looked a little off to me.

I'm thinking that the chain guard might blend a little better if it was dropped in the front ( and possibly raised a little in the rear) for the top edge to follow the same plain as the rack. Coincidentally it would also be parallel with the chain stays.

Here's what i mean...
View attachment 130378

Good eye. I played around with those lines a lot when I was positioning the guard. The problem with this particular guard is how fat the inner front curve is. The only way to make the TOP of the guard line up with the rack is to move the guard so far forward so that it can be lowered and still clear the crank. It looked way off that way, even though the TOP was lined up with the rack. Also it can't be raised in the rear without showing the chain.

So, I found the happy medium where the BOTTOM of the guard lines up with the rack and the TOP of the guard lines up and mimics the sweep of the handlebars. The TOP also lines up somewhat with the slope of the nanner. It flows well for me. I had to blend all of the parts so that they work best in concert with each other.

1595726014284.png

Last edited:
Jake, I'd love to hear what noises you were making back then. And see the pictures!

I was going to use this image, but I wasn't sure how up to speed you Americans are on 90s Canadian hip hop.
maestro-fresh-wes.jpg

The Reason the Junos have a category for rap

Jake, I'd love to hear what noises you were making back then. And see the pictures!

I was going to use this image, but I wasn't sure how up to speed you Americans are on 90s Canadian hip hop.
View attachment 130431
I PLAYED ALL THE R&B AND FUNK SONGS BACK THEN WITH THE BAND. I PLAYED ALL THE ROCK SONGS BY MYSELF.
EVERY OLD SCHOOL HIP HOPPER KNOWS FRESH WES. I HAVEN'T SEEN THAT IN YEARS. [emoji38]

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

View attachment 130431
Also K-OS...one of my all time favorites.

No more progress today. Spent the morning with Queenfish, then the afternoon lending a hand to @Dr. Tankenstein on his killer Oldster build.
On the side this year, I have been selling a TON of bikes and bike parts. The latest thing that I have posting up on Billy Bueno's Random Prize Drawings is the Rare 1950s JC Higgins JetFlow project bike that I bought over 4 years ago.

If you are interested in buying a $27 chance at winning this, follow the link below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BillyBuenosRandomPrizeDrawings/permalink/842610756266957/
20200723_162806.jpg

Last edited:
Just ordered this for SteamRoller to wear (not me).

j1.jpg
j8.jpg

Hope everyone has been entertained with my build thread so far this year.

1595971006789.png

It's been another fun one so far. Have you guessed what the leather jacket is for? I actually only plan on using one sleeve.

With the coppertone paint, I thought of using white glitter or silver glitter vinyl to cover the nanner with, but I just didn't want a mono-color, mono-texture seat. You can't easily get any striped or pleated glitter vinyl anywhere. I even seriously considered some faux gator vinyl in a glitter color. Ideally I wanted some glitter vinyl with a pair of racing stripes on it. In my searching for different vinyl, gator, ostrich, leather, etc I saw some leather jackets with stripes down the sleeves and a lightbulb went off.

So my plan is to cut a sleeve off of the above jacket and cover the high back Troxell nanner with it. The scale and spacing of the stripes should be just about right for it. The stripes will either be dead center or just off center. This should be fun.

Latest posts

Back