Starting A New Bike Shop Business

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live near a quaint town on the Chesapeake Bay that gets quite a few tourists year round now, but the town has no bicycle shop for sales or rentals. I am thinking about statring a small shop and seeing how it goes.
My question is, if anyone knows: what is a good resource for getting started on repair/maintenance courses and resources for inventory for the shop? I have decent mechanical skills, but don't know the ins and outs of all repair.
Have anyone out there gone through this before and can offer some advice ?
Thanks, Don

Sounds like fun. There's lots of instructional videos online and on Park's website.

Ever think of starting off small. Rental to tourist is a good idea. Could probably find enough yard sale and thrift shop bikes to rent out. And working on them will help build your bike knowledge.
I bet you might then have the locals stopping in looking for parts or service and you would get an good idea of the local needs without spending a lot of out of pocket expense on parts. The money could go to the rent on a good location which I think most business owners will tell you is very important. Just a thought.

g-ratter said:
Ever think of starting off small. Rental to tourist is a good idea. Could probably find enough yard sale and thrift shop bikes to rent out. And working on them will help build your bike knowledge.
I bet you might then have the locals stopping in looking for parts or service and you would get an good idea of the local needs without spending a lot of out of pocket expense on parts. The money could go to the rent on a good location which I think most business owners will tell you is very important. Just a thought.
Id agree start small and see where it goes from there.

Check on insurance rates as they get high if you are doing rentals. It is a .... shame that the costs are so high to try to start a little shop. You're going to need insurance to be able to buy parts from most suppliers and protect yourself against any potential lawsuits.

Mike

Back