Starting a build...help with questions please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting to build my Felt Canvas Cruiser Frame but I have lots of questions.

First I'll admitt that I am not personally "buiding" it but my LBS is. I could not find anything I liked out there with the components I wanted and the colour I liked so I thought why not just buy the things you want and paint it the colour you want. I kmow it will end up being more expensive but at least it will be one of a kind.

My biggest problem is with the wheels and crank/bottom bracket.

I want a decent 3 piece crank but not sure what fits. I've read american size/british size etc.. I believe my frame is american size as it is a felt frame.
What cranks/bottom brackets fit this or can someone explain to me what to look for. Specific sizes etc. Also looking for pedals and need chainrings as well..ewhat size? how many teeth etc. I think I will run a 3 speed nexus if that affects anything by way of sprokets etc. Difference between 1 piece and 3 piece cranks.

As my LBS is not cruiser specific they do not have alot of parts and cannot answer all my questions but they are nice enough to say that I can source all my parts if I want online and they will assemble. Great but I want to make sure I get the right parts if I buy online as returning is more os a hassel.

I want all black wheels 24" spokes/hubs (except the nexus which only comes in silver) 36 spoke and about 2" wide rims would be goo, not too wide. Can wheel rims be powder coated or will it prevent spokes from being installed? I figure the easiest is to but parts, powdercoat them then assemble. I also want a front hub for a disc brake as my fork accepts a disc setup.

Again just throw out ideas. Specific sizes would be great. Also website links would be helpful. I know what I want but I am having a hard time finding it and knowing for sure it would fit.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

PS this site is great.

Dan

I have been browsing the how to and build threads but again I'm not sure which parts would work for me.

Back