Standard size BMX crank on a Hawthorne Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a Klunker out of a late 50's to early 60's Hawthorne and Im using a Redline 400 Flight crank but Im finding that if I am pedaling on an angle or turning sharply that the pedal contacts the ground. This is my first build so I am wondering why this would happen when the bike has 26 inch wheels and it doesnt happen on a BMX with 20's. The Cruiser crank arms are shorter than the BMX crank arms, am I going to have to go back to the lame 1 piece cruiser crank?. :roll: Thanks for any suggestions.
024.jpg

It's got an old style crown fork, just changing to a more modern MTB fork will probably raise it enough for regular riding. Better yet, snag an early Rockshox from somewhere.

This is totally right. In my opinion you should go rigid-make it look more BMX-ey. That-or you can learn the way it works, like i have. I simply turn the crank opposite the way im turning

deorman said:
It's got an old style crown fork, just changing to a more modern MTB fork will probably raise it enough for regular riding. Better yet, snag an early Rockshox from somewhere.

Rigid?, like adding a 26 inch BMX fork?. Sounds like a good idea that I may consider because I may end up racing this thing on dirt track so by altering the way I ride on turns I will sacrifice my times. If longer fork is what I need so I can keep the Redline crank I may not have a choice. I really dont want the front end up any higher but if this happens I will need low profile BMX cruiser bars.

The BMX crank arms are 8 inches in length compared to 6 and 1/4 . If I want to build up good speed with 6 and 1/4 arms I'll have to give er everything I got until I got no more and even then I still aint flying.
scrumblero said:
the old cranks were sized to the bike, the new ones are longer you said right?

Latest posts

Back