springer w/ disc bolts

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMHO,The springer disc adapter is not made for heavy or daily use. The only thing that holds the adapter in place is the clamping force between the fork and the strut. This is ok when stopping in the forward direction. But, if you're trying to stop yourself from rolling backward on an incline, the adapter slides right out. Also, there is alot of lateral flex in a springer especially when turning sharply. I've actually jammed my caliper into my spokes, locking up my front end, by riding my bike in a slalom pattern. My rotor ended up getting pretty tweaked.
232323232%7Ffp539%3A7%3Enu%3D3367%3E948%3E6%3A2%3EWSNRCG%3D3699%3B7%3A%3A%3C7336nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp539%3C3%3Enu%3D3367%3E948%3E6%3A2%3EWSNRCG%3D3699%3B755%3B4336nu0mrj

Thanks for the info! Yea I'm definitely gonna be riding this a lot. Perhaps I'll hold off on the springer or maybe just install a disc brake on the rear.

deorman said:
I've seen those with the tab bent around the front of the leg, preventing that from happening. I suspect that's how they're supposed to be mounted. :|
Maybe other adapters could be bent. These were made of heavy gauge stainless. You would need a sheet metal brake to put a clean bend at the proper angle. I would think if it needed to be bent that it would come bent. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the adapter and the fork and putting in a button head and nylok. I've been bummed that my rotor ended up tweaked after the caliper jammed up in the spokes.

Have you considered using a drum brake, instead. I installed a Sturmey Archer X-FD on my wife's cruiser, and it's pretty nice. I'm planning to add some to a couple of my other bikes, in the near future.

i-gdDNckT-L.jpg

i-xzPxts7-L.jpg

1sikryd said:
deorman said:
I've seen those with the tab bent around the front of the leg, preventing that from happening. I suspect that's how they're supposed to be mounted. :|
Maybe other adapters could be bent. These were made of heavy gauge stainless. You would need a sheet metal brake to put a clean bend at the proper angle. I would think if it needed to be bent that it would come bent. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the adapter and the fork and putting in a button head and nylok. I've been bummed that my rotor ended up tweaked after the caliper jammed up in the spokes.
The item I refer to was not some flimsy thing you could bend with pliers. If it was, it wouldn't do the job. I occasionally have to fab brackets, tabs and what-not for dump beds and loader implements, and 3/16" Bessemer plate can be bent to a right angle across a couple of inches with an anvil vise and one of these.
bike3%20023.jpg

Easy? no, but do-able.

Back