Springer front end fork tube length

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I picked up a springer front end this weekend at a swap meet. it's old, but it's in good shape. Heres the problem. I bought it to go on either my Higgins Colorflow, or a 58 Mens Columbia. When I got it home, I tried to install it, and found out it was for a frame with a 6" fork tube. The Columbia and Higgins have 5.375" fork tubes. I have an old ladies Hawthorne (pre war), and it has a 6" fork tube. What other men's frames will this front end fit. Sorry, I can't figure out how to post a pic here. Can send in an email.

It's a lot easier to fit a springer on a bike with a shorter head tube than than it was designed for than the other way around. The easiest solution is putting spacers either above or below. Post some pics, then we can all chime in.

Could anyone post up some pics showing this on their bikes? I would love to see a spacer setup that is subtle and/or doesn't look too out of place on an old crusty frame.

Back