"Sportster" DX (renamed)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought the ol' "Goldfinger" frame and fork from Walker. I thought I'd see how a skinny-ish 26" looks up front. I need to re-lace that rear S-A 3spd into a 24" hoop, then I'd put a 2.125" donut on that.
The-DX.jpg

My thought is to do something similar in style to Heiwa and BratStyle motorcycles in some ways. Somewhere between bobber and street-tracker proportions.

Re: Ventucky DX

Rode my 29er down to the LBS today, and scored a used 24" MTB rear wheel with a bent axle for $5. A little time and the hub from an old Haro BMX bike should mean I have a complete set of wheels for my '52. I just need to get these freewheels off so I can change the spokes.

Got a couple of pieces in since the last update, but you'll have to wait for pics...

1. Viscount "Loaf" '70s BMX seat
2. 26x1.0 Tom Slick for the front wheel
3. Spokes and hub for the 24" rear hoop.

Wish me luck!

nice! i wanna see that loaf seat on it. i was actually going to replace the seat on my bike with a banana seat, so it will have that brat style look. here is my bike similar to yours
dsc00870m.jpg

The-DX02.jpg

Well, here's a quick mock up with the 24" wheel in the rear (it's a 24" frame) and the loaf seat (no sissybar yet). I think I'll keep the narrow 26" up front... kind of a speedway bike/dirttracker feel. According to Walker, I can fit a 24x2.3 in the rear... looking for an appropriate flatland/cruiser tread tire for the hind end.

Better shot of the seat:
The-DX01.jpg

Thinking I should rig up a couple of coilovers for a suspended sissybar.

Trued up the newly-laced rear wheel, and threw the new tire on the front rim, even though I don't have a tube for it yet. The first bead went on easy enough, I figured, "What the heck?"

The-DX03.jpg

Mounted, it looks like this tire, on a 26" MTB rim, actually measures under 25" in height. I'll be able to drop the front fork over an inch.

digging the build bro! where are you guys coming up with those forks?

GCG2 said:
digging the build bro! where are you guys coming up with those forks?

I don't know what this fork came from - you need to ask Walker. Plenty of these forks on chopper-style kids bikes and inexpensive mountainbikes, but I don't know what the source was for this one. The legs on this one are REALLY beefy; close to 1-1/2" in diameter. I'm thinking of making an aluminum shroud to cover the triple clamps on the front-side... like a big Harley glide fork.

After dropping the front fork to a reasonable level with the new front tire, you can see how much I need to trim off the legs:

TheDX05.gif

FedEx brought my rear tire this morning. That square-shouldered 24x2.125 surrey tire really sets off the 26x1.0 front donut.
TheDX07.gif

I'm pretty sure I'll change the bars out before this thing is rideable:
TheDX06.gif

Need to make up a sissybar once I figure out a seat height that I can live with.
TheDX08.gif

Okay - switched out the seat, bars and brakes... for now.
TheDX12.jpg

TheDX15.jpg

That seatpost is an old Flexstem cut off with a seatpost end welded to it. Kind of a suspension layback.
TheDX17.jpg

Tall bars make for easy wheelies.
TheDX13.jpg

Powerslides are a little more difficult with that big Jerald slick on the back.
The-DX11.jpg

Hi Dave,

Great build. Where did you get the rear tire? I've been looking for a square-like tire and not having any luck. Any help would be great!

Thanks, Kevin

Back