spoke length question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked at alot of the laceing charts and I'm wondering if anybody ..off the top of your head ...can tell me how much the length changes if you do a cross 3 or a cross 4. I have a 3 speed nexus and it has 10'' spokes on it with a cross 2 pattern. I have another good alloy rim off that Schwinn that is laced to a 5 speed cog thing. The length of those spokes is 10 1/4 on a cross 3. The nexus has several broken spokes and I was wondering if you used a 1/4 longer spoke but did a cross 3 or 4 if it would take up that much length?

Are you using a spoke calculator? It sure makes things easier, and I have'nt even seen spokes listed in standard measures (other than vintage offerings). All the spokes I have purchased were calculated and purchased metrically, so far so good! :wink:

Another thought, measure the existing hub, then your Nexus, then the spokes used on the existing hub. Then you should to be able to figure out the difference.

What I have is some 10 inch long spokes and They fit a cross 2 build on a nexus. I want to use some 10 1/4 spokes and wondered if i did a cross 3 or a cross 4 if it would take up the extra 1/4 inch?

gotta use a calculator or make sure your nipples are extra long. I would think the 10.25" could be too short.

Guess who said this? Maybe you should go back and revisit this thread with a box of Twinkies.
Heck like this 7 speed today ...every once in a while just a regular lace job will jump up and bite me in the but and make me feel like I dont know what I'm doing.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14351

Ok Ok I'll do the spoke calculator...Just wondering . I can input 3 cross and 4 cross and find out the difference.....Duh. I was just being lazy. :roll:

probably. I have been lazy too on a wheel build. I grinded down the spoke ends that were too long. :shock:

I understand your question. On the last wheel I did, I ordered spokes that were too long. They might have been about 1/4" long like yours. I was using a 3-croos and so I tried a 4-cross and they worked fine. This was on a 24" wheel. The wheel size would make a slight difference too, smaller wheel, smaller difference. I think you should give it a try. Only thing you have to loose is a little time.

Thanks I appreciate it. That was the answer I was looking for. I know somewhere there was a table that told how much longer a three cross was to a four cross.

That free Schwinn came with some nice alloy rims and when i measure the hub its reall close to a shimano coaster hub I have. I also have a 3 speed nexus that is a little bigger so maybe one will work. Either one does and I have a nice set of rims that I found some new 26x 1.75 tires I bought once. :lol: Almost like free stuff

I just did my back wheel last night its a 26 inch wheel with a sturmy archer 3 speed with like a 9 1/4 inch spoke or a 256mm, started with a two cross patern but the spoke stuck threw the rim about 3/8 of an inch so i did the two over one under thing and had to grind off about 1/6 off the spoke when i was done.

Latest posts

Back