Split Tube?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you asking if anyone has used gorilla tape instead of a rim strip?

If so, it's all I use. Never had an issue either.

How does the adhesive on the Gorilla Tape hold up over time? Regular duct tape adhesive breaks down and gets gooey before eventually drying out and not sticking anymore.

I read the original posters question as have any of us used Gorilla tape to patch a split inner tube. If so no would be my answer and I never will I try it. I use automotive tire patch kits and adhesive to patch bicycle tubes. The automotive patches are much cheaper than the bike marketed varieties and you can get much large and thicker patches.

Last edited:
I know that three advantages to going "tubeless" with mountain bikes are 1) saving weight, 2) being able to run VERY low air pressure for better traction without fear of pinch flats, and 3) Stan's Sealant or Slime fights against punctures from thorns/glass/etc. by sealing them instantly.

I also completely respect, understand and participate in the urge to do something new and different just because we CAN! :113:

But...am I the only person to wonder what the point is in shaving a pound or two off an already-heavy balloon tire cruiser?! And who really wants to run 15 psi on fat cruiser tires?!

Is there some other advantage that I'm not seeing?

Last edited:
I know that three advantages to going "tubeless" with mountain bikes are 1) saving weight, 2) being able to run VERY low air pressure for better traction without fear of pinch flats, and 3) Stan's Sealant or Slime fights against punctures from thorns/glass/etc. by sealing them instantly.

I also completely respect, understand and participate in the urge to do something new and different just because we CAN! :113:

But...am I the only person to wonder what the point is in shaving a pound or two off an already-heavy balloon tire cruiser?! And who really wants to run 15 psi on fat cruiser tires?!

Is there some other advantage that I'm not seeing?

I agree entirely with your sentiment, but I have to admit that puncture-related flats will ruin a cruise. I had 3 flats this past month; the past five or 6 years, I'd had less than a flat per YEAR, on-average. So, it's been a rough month....

...but, still, prolly not rough enough to convert to cruiser-tubeless.

I don't get the vibe that anyone here is trying shave weight on cruisers or run low pressure in them. My guess is people are just experimenting which is to be respected. Some people live in areas where there are a lot of puncture hazards. These methods might be of interest and benefit to them if they run some sort of slime as well. Myself, I plan to keep on running tubes and rim strips. They work just fine for me since I don't ride frequently, off road, or have a lot of punctures hazards.

So basically it comes down to "because it's a cool and different, albeit slightly complicated way to help puncture proof tires??" That works for me! :)

As I said above (and provided a link) I'm all in favor of experimentation and trying new things -- I was just wondering if there was in fact another (or cruiser-specific) advantage that I was missing.

I'm sure my situation is a bit isolated. The green way here in town is gravel (gumball trees above) to paved. I don't want to skip the 3 miles of gravel because of punctures so converting my cruisers is ideal. I can see it being pointless if you strictly ride roads.

I LIKE BIKES

It sounds like you've got a higher risk of punctures than some of us, so that conversion makes perfect sense! :)

I've been thinking about putting Slime sealant in my cruiser and/or 27 road bike tubes -- when I was a teenager, I used to average about one flat tire per year riding the same roads I'm riding on again 30 years later. I've been lucky the past couple of years but I also know I'm not riding the same number of miles as I used to.

There are still the occasional shards of broken glass and thorns here and there, and walking may be good exercise but it's no fun while pushing a bike too.

I ended up with one of the slime tubes on the front wheel of my Schwinn Heavy Duti build by accident. The used tube that was in the wheel and had held air for a year on the donor bike with no issues decided to explode after switching it and the rim to the build bike. Of course I didn't have anymore new tubes on hand. Went to our local Walmart expecting to get one of the $5 Bell tubes but they were out of stock. So I ended up having to spend a lot more on a slime tube. They're fine until you have to deflate them for some reason. Then of course the slime wants to ooze while deflating.

I was at Walmart this week and saw not only Bell tubes but another brand. The slime tubes were in a box for $3.50.

I LIKE BIKES

Figures, they are more than double the price at my store but I was in a pinch and needed one and it was all they had in shrader valve. Was the other brand Hutchinson? I have seen those at the Evansville, IN west side store. Also I believe I have seen Cycle Force branded tubes at some stores. I have begun buying some thicker tubes from Dan's Comp that are only a $1 more than WalMarts Bell tubes. I like them so far and they are made in Taiwan instead of China.

Latest posts

Back