SPITFIRE MX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I've decided to build up the 53 Schwinn that I got from Uncle Stretch into a Klunker.

I plan to paint the bike using the Schwinn claw stencils...still deciding on a color combo.

What you see below is a mock up of the bike to see how all of the parts will fit. Ignore the dork disc on the rear wheel...that won't be there eventually.

I stole these ARAYA 26 x 1.75 7X wheels off my 87 Schwinn Sierra MTB. I'll probably ditch the QR skewers and replace the hub guts with traditional axles.

Will have to figure out what to do about brakes.

53 Schwinn Spitfire
- Brooks B72 Saddle
- Skull Skates MX Bars
- AME Tri Grips
- ARAYA 26 x 1.75 Wheels
- Sugino Mighty Crank Set
- VP Bear Trap Pedals
- ACS BMX Stem

WHAT I STARTED WITH
sb-8.jpg

MOCK UP STAGE BEFORE PAINTING
DSC_0006-2.jpg

DSC_0007-2.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003-1.jpg

DSC_0005-2.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Yeah..I'm thinking a five speed...although the cassette on there now is a 6 speed.

I think I have some 80s Suntour components laying around the garage somewhere from an old MTB I stripped down last year.

Trying to decide how I'll work out the derailleur attachment.

Sweet. Looks like a really fun build, and even more fun to RIDE!. You might have to take it to the Repack and give it a true field-test. Hey Hooch, I've still got one of those Sidewinders at my friends place up North. I always wanted one of those KingStings, but the Sidewinder was a close as I ever got. Great balance and very good for wheelies, if you put 'bullhorn' bars on it:).
Ride on,
Billy
http://www.klunkerz.com

What you need is a huffy style replacement deraillur tab, it screws to the dropout, and then the axle nut helps hold it as well, then you can bolt any deraillur you want on there.

Thinking about buying a set of those ARAI drum brakes that the guy on Ebay sells new.

Anyone ever buy a set before?

f140_35.JPG

Latest posts

Back