Spiegel Airman

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sunny Florida Starting October 1, 2016!!!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I previously bought a Columbia 5 Star from this very pleasant guy in the west Chicago area and when I asked about this Airman he said it was his boy's. The boy eventually decided to sell it so now I have the pleasure of riding it for awhile. It's not what I would call a beautifull bike but you can definitely tell it was made by Monark. To me it has kind of an Armoured Car look to it. I have a few pics of a bike club somewhere in CA and many of the members had ratrodded their Monarks and they look TUFF! I know Monark was building bikes for Spiegel for a few years and I've I've seen catalog pages of prewar Airmen bikes but I haven't found any data for this model as yet. If anyone knows how to date this bicycle I would greatly appreciate the help. To ride it any amount of time will mean a saddle change. I'm like kind of big so when I sat on the seat the springs bottomed right out. However, the short trip that I did take around a couple cul de sacs I was surprised by how smooth the ride was even with the single spring. I love my Roadmasters and I can feel them absorbing the shocks but I didnt feel them with the Airman. I'm just going to have to ride them both more. Looking forward to cruising with my new "boy's" Monark.

69.jpg

75.jpg

That bike has beautiful lines.......nice acquistion!

I did change the seat just so I could ride it. The tires are all cracked on it so now I have to decide what color combination would look good. I plan to keep the bike as is except for a little cleaning & a little tuning up. The faded whitewalls on it now blend really well with the finish & trim so I'm leaning towards a creme color - maybe Fat Frank's in creme. Something with creme sidewalls would work but brown is all I've found - brown maybe? I need to find the name of the spray I read about here on RRB for the inside of the tank so it stops sounding like a tin can. I seem to be stuck on these shades of red to brown thing because the next one coming up is also like burgandy/brown. I'm going to be ready for something nice and bright after these three.

Back