Some of my herd...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced myself a while back here & I am finally getting around to posting some pics...

This is my main rider, a '78 Typhoon--got it bone stock from the son of the original owner earlier in the year. I don't consider it a rat rod, really more of a muscle cruiser, if anything.
typhoon.jpg

I added Electra apes, a springer of unknown origin, NOS Italian headlight ($5 at the LBS), Tireflies valve caps shaped like '59 Caddy tailights and (gasp!) two <modern> Schwinn accessories: LED tailight (for safety) & digital speedo/odo. (I happen to think there oughta be a constitutional ban on digital guages in old cars, but this bike is a <rider> & the thing's just too useful, esp. the top speed function) Right now, it's also sporting a Swiss luggage rack w/folding Wald baskets--not pretty but functional. (fugtional???) They can hold 2 cases of beer or alot of garage sale purchases (did both this weekend).

This is my beater--a '71 Triumph. Yes, like the motorcycle--they started out making bicycles, but by the '50's, Raleigh was making them under license. (They also made BSA's which are much more collectable) I got it for $10 at the thrift store where I also found an NOS Stingray speedo for $1.51! That was my lucky day.
triumph.jpg

Oh yeah, it's not a girls bike, they call 'em "step through frames" now.

Here's my '57 B.F. Goodrich Corvette the day I brought it home.
57vette-1.jpg

It looks alot cleaner in the pic, than in reality. I've got the fenders off now & a shifter & cable for the Sturmey Archer 3 spd. Once I find a rear caliper that fits, it will be back on the road. Can't wait to ride it. Future plans call for Westwood white walls & some period accessories. Maybe someday a repaint & new decals (love the design on the seat tube).

This is a Schwinn, late '40's vintage is my guess.
strtbar1.jpg

strtbar.jpg

Scored it for $25 on eBay & drove a mile to pick it up. I intend to keep it's patina as is. Trust In Rust. I am going to try it out in various fork/handlebars/wheel configurations & take pics. My brother is a Steampunk (look it up) & we have been kicking around the idea of a steam powered rat bike--this might be it.

Not pictured is my '60 Schwinn Panther Mk. III. Right now, it just looks like any other cantilever frame in primer, but to me, it's much more than that. I'll talk about it some other time.

Thanks guys, I like 'em too!
I am, however, humbled looking at the true artistry with which some of you have built your rides. So far all I have proven is that I know where to find a cool bike & bolt some parts on it. But hey, it's all good fun, right? I am not trying to compete w/anyone.
BTW, I used to be pretty proficient w/a MIG--never welded a bike before, but sooner or later one of my nutty sketches will find a third dimension...right now, I am happy to just be able to ride a bike when I want.

Thanks guys, I like 'em too!
I am, however, humbled looking at the true artistry with which some of you have built your rides. So far all I have proven is that I know where to find a cool bike & bolt some parts on it. But hey, it's all good fun, right? I am not trying to compete w/anyone.
BTW, I used to be pretty proficient w/a MIG--never welded a bike before, but sooner or later one of my nutty sketches will find a third dimension...right now, I am happy to just be able to ride a bike when I want.

Nice bikes - I think you'll find the straight bar Scwhinns are pretty popular around here :D . The serial number will be on the bottom bracket shell or left rear dropout. You can date the frame with this number at Bunch O' Bikes

-Mp

Latest posts

Back