So, your wife wants a piano...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My wife has always wanted a piano, I'm not sure why, she doesn't play one, but she does want one.

I think she feels that it would look good in our old house. So I found one, but it needed work, so I worked on it. I'm not done yet, still have some painting to do, but now she has a piano, and I have a place to store my flatscreen tv! I can fit a 46" Toshiba in there and no-one would suspect that it's in there.

It was way more work than I ever imagined...

DSC00427.jpg

DSC00426.jpg

DSC00425.jpg

Rg

That would also be a great hiding spot for bike parts. :lol:

Is that a Yamaha Chappy I see in the background?

outskirtscustoms said:

No, it's a '74 Honda Z-50. Like everything else I have , it is in the process of being rebuilt...

Rg

raggedjim said:
outskirtscustoms said:

No, it's a '74 Honda Z-50. Like everything else I have , it is in the process of being rebuilt...

Rg
Cool, I was close. I had a chappy back in the day, I'm gonna have to find another one of these days.

Ha! I just brought home a monster Miller upright last year. Learned a few things.... first tune is cheap! And having a functional middle pedal (sostenuto) is a sign of a 20s or older upright.

Floyd said:
Ha! I just brought home a monster Miller upright last year. Learned a few things.... first tune is cheap! And having a functional middle pedal (sostenuto) is a sign of a 20s or older upright.

To any piano lovers out there, this one was in un-restorable shape. The strings were all rusty and dead, it had been a player piano and someone had removed all the player piano parts before I got it. The guy was gonna throw it away, so I took it. I actually learned a lot about how a piano works by destroying one! That's also how I learn about bikes...

Rg

We bought an antique early 1900's Baby Grand Piano. It was in bad shape with the keys needing
new felts and the paper washers. I bought them online and learned how to redo all the keys. Then
they wanted $2000 to restring it. So we were stuck just like you. Neither of us played a piano.
I took all the strings,keys and harp out . Then I cut it down to 6'' where the cover for the keys
would be flat and we made it into our dining room table. I love it. Way better than a piano.
DSCF0002-51.jpg

Uncle Stretch said:
Then I cut it down to 6'' where the cover for the keys
would be flat and we made it into our dining room table. I love it. Way better than a piano.

Looks kinda small......I thought you were suppose to STRETCH it. :wink: :wink:

My dining room is 10' x 11'6'' and the piano is 5' x 4'10. It fits in there nicely.
Will sit 4 comfortably and you can squeeze 5 if two sit on the bench. Kinda
like a duet. :roll:

Uncle Stretch said:
My dining room is 10' x 11'6'' and the piano is 5' x 4'10. It fits in there nicely.
Will sit 4 comfortably and you can squeeze 5 if two sit on the bench. Kinda
like a duet. :roll:

I meant if you were able to restring it and learn how to play :lol: My wife bought a couch once, it wouldn't fit through the door, we ended up replacing the doors after it was all said and done. I even widened the door ways in the house too after that (we were remodeling anyway) you could push a cow on roller skates in the front and watch it roll out the back now :mrgreen:

Awesome work too Jim, I dont think I could rework one without it looking like it had been reworked (= mine would be ugly)

I just fixed the keys and never tried to restring the dumb thing.
We saw a guy took an upright and rebuilt the back about 6' tall.
He put glass in the front and fixed it where the two glass doors
would open. He put his china in it and then where the keys were
he made a sliding drawer and had all his silverware. It was quarter sawn
oak and you could not see where he added the extra height. It was awesome.
I don't think he could play either....he could woodwork with the best of them though. :lol:

Yeah, reworking a piano is cost prohibitive, but they are usually decent pieces of furniture and make a great start for projects. It's sad how many are being scrapped out because no one wants them.

Great work on the table! (Hope my wife doesn't see it...)

Rg

Latest posts

Back