so this guy wants to sell me a banana seat bike........

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Could post in fresh finds, but need input from the pros, so here goes, the semi condensed version.

Guy a few weeks or a month back talks to me at the flea market and says he has a banana seat bike or two... talk more... says he has a chopper bike with shifter.
Ok, got me interested, thinking a Raleigh Choppepr, which I love.... so nothing yet.
Sunday he shows up and says he has those bikes in the car. I'm busy so he says he'll roll em down for me to look at, says ppl were stopping him on the way and oggling the bike. He says he saw one on ebay for 750 ( here we go.. sigh :( .... but since this one needs a restore he'd take less.

Thinking it's a 71 ? serial is 502475480 77339 (spaced just like that ).

Othe rthan the obvious fork mods, need input, seat I'm going to try to recover, have seen online photos of the Spring ( ? Bronco ) bar, or with a standard Persons style bar, is the later model bike downgraded without the suspension sissy ?
Reflector bow pedals in worn condition (on the hunt if anyone has a set ).
For the pros - I need input on the shifter / drag brake setup, have not pulled it apart yet, but looks like a stud or somehting is broke off inside. I actually have parts for the drag brake setup, but not sure if for this model or a MK1/F1 style, any pics or info appreciated.
Also, if this winds up being my MBBO entry :), does anyone have paint codes or close match ? Jaxon ?

Wow, that is a weird one! Kind of dig it though!

First off, that fork mod is cool...that is an actual aftermarket fork extension from back in the 60's or 70's, you added it to your fork and bolted it on (for safety haha!). That would be a sweet little mod on some bike.

The serial numbers of the Sears Screamer don't tell the year like other Murray made bikes. But I believe that the serial number on the 1972 bikes is on the head tube, where on 1971 bikes it would be on the rear dropout.

Also, they did make one in 1971-1972 with that seat and no suspension sissy bar, so that sissy bar might be stock. I will check Murrayeliminators site on Murray bikes and find that for sure.

Finally, for the shifter, that looks like the right unit for the bike. The drag brake shifters have two levers, one for the shifting and one for the brake. They are bolted on the shifter base with one nut, and spaced with washer so the work independently. Some of the washers are keyed. That handles are different than the Murray Eliminator handles, they won't interchange. Take it apart and post some pictures, I have worked on a few and can help.

Very cool project! that will be sweet in the MBBO!

In 72 they used those reflectors on the forks. If you have those holes for them it is a 72. The color for the paint is Pagan Gold. That is what I used on a couple I had painted. They made a Screamer and a Deluxe Screamer in 71 and 72. The difference was the deluxe had the drag brake shifter and the Bronco sissy bar.

Eagleeye - Thanks for the info and links,I did find a 71 ad and it matches my serial '47548'. Good to have the diagram of the shifter, too, will have to dig out my parts I have and see if they are right for this one ( fingers crossed ).
Cool info on the fork extender, I figured homemade, but will have to rethink that, could be interesting on some 'generic' bike,lol

Jaxon - thanks also, paint info will help , is that House of Colors paint, or does it not matter ? ... think this one had the fork reflectors, have to go double check but I think the small rivet holes are there,filled with paint.
The 47548 number seems to be the 'delux' ,I could not find an ad for a 72 to double check- this one also has the later seat without the side reflectors.
Ps / edit - also, just was rereading eagleyes post above about the numbers, and mine is on the rear dropout,not head tube, so if that makes it a 71 ?

Going to tinker with it a bit today maybe, excited by the find but so many in line already, lol - seems even in slow find times I aquire more than I build, lol, I'm slow building I guess.
Still have to mess with the forks, if anyone has photo closeup of the springer, or measurments it'd be greatly appreciated.

Keep hunting guys, they're out there ....... :)

For a guy that grew up with a Screamer 2, I would keep the fork extensions on there. As a kid I jacked mine up by using a 26" fork. Wicked score!

GD,

Yes, Pagan Gold is a House of Kolor paint color.

That fork extender may be chrome under there, that would clean up nicely!

Post some post-tinkering pics haha!

that's a pretty sweet eliminator and that fork s definitely cool but I would be a little concerned about how strong they are they don't appear to be welded unless I am missing it but nonetheless it looks well built and definitely cool I would agree with it being 71-72 now that I look again I think it is a sears screamer judging by the bars and what's left of the rattrap springer and seat but it is still cool and definitely a different piece would be cool to have ina collection

Latest posts

Back