smoothness of new departure D?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hey guys,

so i've got a new departure model D as my coaster brake hub, I love the vintage-ness of having that brake. When I ride my bike it feels to coast all right, but when I lift up the back wheel and go to spin it, most of the time it doesn't even make a single revolution. clearly its not as smooth as it feels when riding.

I was wondering how smooth others model D hubs spin?

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to break mine down and give it a good cleaning and greasing, but based on how the brake actually works, I could see it just being because of how it's designed. like, perhaps when I just spin the wheel, the clutch plate compressor gets threaded in slightly, causing a kind of half brake?

any advice from more experienced model D users, or other hubs of the same design, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The plates need oil to stay separated, but there's normally a slight drag when coasting. I've always used motor oil, but learned here recently that 80w hypoid gear oil is recommended.

For most people, their seat-of-the-pants measure of how well a bike is set up for low drag coasting is shockingly imprecise. I have taken apart bikes that were thought to be fine, that I found had ridiculous amounts of drag from bad parts, lack of lube, and poor adjustment. I have taken apart at least 50 old coaster brake hubs and I can recall only one where the lubrication was serviceable as found. (And that was only because it previously belonged to a bicycle mechanic who had already serviced it!) I have learned to never ride an old bike until I have taken apart, cleaned, and lubed the working components. So don't even bother wondering what is going on until the hub is freshly cleaned, inspected, lubed and properly adjusted. Once you have done that, if all parts are in good usable condition, it should certainly spin more than one revolution.

Having said all that, I think that maybe the disc brake design of the ND hub is "draggier" than other hubs. My present Model D looks to be in perfect condition, but I believe it does not coast as well as my other brake shoe style hubs. But, the braking performance is very strong. I could give it a spin test if you are still interested.

Here's a quick solution. Stop lifting your rear tire! Yes by all means do service the hub but you must remember that its not a bmx hub!

Almost forgot. How many drops of oil do you use? I did use oil once and it just started to come out of the sides when riding. It made a real mess. Now I use this waterproof grease that comes in a spray can (can't remember the name right now) inside the hub and on the chain and it works awesome when you like to ride over water puddles! And it brakes fine!

Back