Smoking rant

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my view on smoking is its fine BUT i dont like smoking in public places and the whole second hand smoke. Bascily do what you want to your body, but please dont hurt others with your decision.

Its funny, last year some kids came in for a poll: Would you want ANY and ALL smoking banned in missouri (where i used to live)?
I was the only one to say no LOL. Some people got upset and i stated what i said up there ^

Sam

Smoking, if you can afford it and you arnt bothered about shortening your life span then go for it! Just dont blow yer stinkin breath in my direction and I wont burp beer breath in yours :wink:

I confine my smoking to avoid annoying others, it's basic courtesy. On the other hand, when someone starts in preaching the evils of smoking, I usually ask them if they drive or ride in motor vehicles. If they're smart, they quit. If not, I tell them to stick it up their tailpipe. :|

well I was gonna "Butt" out of this but I will say this...the last time I was at my Dr. he talked me into taking a test that determines your lungs age...Ive been smoking for about 33 years now,and I'm 46,(AND i POWDERCOATED AND PAINTED FOR A WHILE) and he's tried to talk me into quitting for a while now( I know i SHOULD...). Any hoo, he says "a 45 year old gal just took the test and she has 90 year old lungs..." so I figure mine Must be bad....so I try the test, alot like a breath-a-lizer, blow till it stops beepin, and it takes 4 or 5 tries..."blow harder...blow longer" so I figure I must be doing bad,SINCE iM GETTING WINDED!! but no....I have 45 year old lungs!!!!
ALTHOUGH I DO NOT SUGGEST SMOKING, TO ANYONE!!!! I must admit, I was suprised!! He said I must not inhale as deeep as others.....

Now I am totally against smoking...My mom has been doing it since i was born. She never stopped smoking around me, always did in the car, but recently "Stopped" smoking in the house...i always catch her when i come in from bike runs.

BUT

Smokers have their rights too, I LIKE the fact that there is no smoking in restaraunts...or basically any public place...but bars? Seriously?

I heard in canada-when they passed their smoking laws...some guy parked a bus in a hole near his bar, tore the seats out...boom...Smokers lounge...it worked because you could smoke in your car legally still.

Who is gonna pay the taxes when the man says no smoking? Next will be fast food or junk food. How much second hand smoke does it take for you to get cancer? If your a health freek what are you doing in the bars drinking or in the restaurant eating salt and butter? I guess what im saying is you take one right from someone it wont stop at just one. THIS IS AMERICA MAN LETS KEEP IT FREE. Oh and by the way i quit smoking because i wanted to not because you told me to :D.

I don't smoke cigarettes but I know people who do and I find it very disgusting when they come in after smoking and they sit by me and I get a big whiff of cigarettes. I think it would be better to have marijuana legalized than cigarettes. That said I don't have anything against smokers I just think it's a bad habit. :wink:

Im a smoker, but I agree with the majority ^ I smoke in my car, because 99.9% of the time I drive alone, I smoke in my van... but thats a single seater and doesn't really count... but I've always thought that a 'smoking section' in a restaurant or bar is like a 'weeing section' in a swimming pool... not really gonna work is it :p.

But... on a recent trip to Amsterdam i was surprised that they have a bar in 2 'rooms'... a smoke-free room with the bar in it... and a glass partition with extractor fans for the smokers... so only the smokers were ever in the smoking room and the non-smokers were well away from it... genius? or madness?

and as has been said... i can smoke if i want to... it is my right to a freedom of choice... but if it is going in your face... tell me, i might not have noticed, ill apologise and move :D we dont bite...

and a final note... here in the UK we have 'smoking shelters' so you can stay out of the wind and rain... but by law these need to be less than 50% enclosed... so you still get wet and windswept... but anyway, these tend to be located so far out fo the way and hidden behind bushes and things.... we know these shelters as 'lepers corners'... i am not contagious, violent or explosive, i do not wish to be treated as such when i contribute nearly £2000 a year to the economy through extra taxes.... rant over

*puts soapbox away*

While I hate the smell of cigarettes, I do believe people have the right to smoke as long as it doesn't affect my right to breath. My pet peeve is stopping at stop signs and stop lights and seeing piles of old butts dumped out. I also don't care for driving down the road and having a cigarette hit my windshield because the ddfus in front of me threw out the leftovers. If you want to smoke, fine; just keep the darned things in your car when you're done with them.

i didnt care either way really,
i used to smoke, @ bars and restaurants. quit smoking before the ban in illinois took effect, at first i thought it was a little silly to ban smoking in a bar (completely understand the restaurant thing though). after a while me and my wife went to a concert in st. louis, it bugged the crap out of me it stunk like smoke when you walked in and that people were blowing smoke right in your face. ever since ive been for the ban.

personally i hate smoking b/c my mom does it all the time, hey look, shes doing it right now. :roll: my dad complains about kissing her, saying its like licking an ashtray. but smoking and bars go hand in hand. a bar is stress-relieving place, not a place to be restricted. but the no-smoking in resturants is nice, makes em smell better. everyone has rights, especially in the U.S. of A. :D

I smoked for 25 years. On Navy ships, it must have been bad for the non smokers, the air inside was all recirc, and 90% of us smoked. As the years went by, it became more and more inconvenient to smoke. I tried the nicotine gum in 1987 but I couldn't wean myself off it, so that only lasted a month and a half. Then in 1997 the patch worked and worked great. I can sit with a bunch of people who smoke with no problem, at first it smelled great, like a steak cooking, but now smells like chemicals burning. But I have no cravings, and it's been 13 years ago as of last week. It's great to breathe easily after quitting. I was a slave to nicotine. But I wanted to quit, otherwise it wouldn't have worked.

Back