Smaller wheel and v pull brakes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put replace 26" wheels with 24" wheels on an alloy frame Electra Coaster (derailleur gears), but I don't think the vpull brakes will work as the "lug" on the frame where the brakes are mounted on is welded to the frame and not movable to reposition the brakes.
Any ideas or suggestions ?

How about just running a coaster brake and be done with it. Personally I like the clean look of no front brake.

Find or make yourself a brake arch and use that to mount your brakes lower. Nashbar and several other companies sell them. Usually they are used to stiffen your v brakes but it wouldn't take much to re-engineer it to work as a mount.

Thanks bmxerpete, I had to google some pics of a brake arch as I've never seen one before. I kinda get what you mean, I'm going to have to sketch some plans on paper. Not sure if an extended arch would take the pressure in the direction of the wheel moving when the brakes are applied.

they used to make a roller cam brake for Schwinn Cinnibars and the sierra series the lugs were higher then v or cantilever brakes they might work if you can find a set. have a set that I put on my king sting in 85 and like them kind of cool looking to

Back