Sloppy coaster brake

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Workin on a 20" build for my grandson & the coaster brake on the back has a lot of slop in it. Seems like the pedal has to go a long way back to engage it, way too long. Once it engages is works fine. Haven't torn into it yet, but thought I'd get some advice from you experts before I do. Any input is appreciated!

Sounds like its way too loose via cone adjustment?

might try adjusting the cones and see if it makes a difference.... otherwise your gonna have to get in the guts to see whats wrong with it.

or... just have Udallcustombikes go thru it, he's the hub guru.

Ratfink1962 said:
Sounds like its way too loose via cone adjustment?

might try adjusting the cones and see if it makes a difference.... otherwise your gonna have to get in the guts to see whats wrong with it.

or... just have Udallcustombikes go thru it, he's the hub guru.

Thanks Mitch, I will look @ it tonite. If I can't figure it out then out to Cameron's it goes!

Old, failed, dried-up, sticky, chunky grease can cause that as well. Always assume an old coaster hub needs cleaning, inspection, and new lube before expecting it to work.

I have to agree with Ratfink1962. 90% of the time if the break works good, but takes more than a 1/2 rotation to lock up, the cones are too loose. Most of the time you can check it while the wheel is still on the bike. Grab the rim, try to wiggle it side to side. If it moves alot, the cones are too loose.

dougfisk said:
Old, failed, dried-up, sticky, chunky grease can cause that as well. Always assume an old coaster hub needs cleaning, inspection, and new lube before expecting it to work.

yup what he said: because you know the OP checked the wheel bearings before coming here, clean clean clean lube lube reinstall check and only THEN ride and test...only common sense....

unless you want to kill/harm the person riding it....

Back