Sky Ranger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a pretty mild, casual customizing job that I did a few days back, and I really liked the way it turned out.
Bought this cool old '61(?) Sears Flightliner from fellow Huntington Beach resident and member BlakeC. Great guy, and had a lot of fun discussing bikes during the transaction.
From the moment I saw this bike, for some reason it reminded of a World War II fighter plane - not real sure why, except for maybe the finish, but it does, so that was kind of the way I headed in doing my own customizing.
Blue 26x2.125 Cheng-Shins, added truss rod set, new riser stem, swoopy Electra Amsterdam bars (I know the flipped bars thing is getting old, but I really wanted a "bent-wing" effect to the bars in the style of a WWII F4U Corsair fighter's wings), matching blue Scott grips, a great old NOS chrome chainguard I scored on Ebay, new aluminum kickstand (the old one was tweaked), old "Army Air Corps" sticker for the head and small WWII era "8th Air Force" decal for the seat tube, and of course, no fighter would be complete without bullet valve caps! :mrgreen:
I tried a couple of different Brooks saddles on it, but even though I love 'em, they just didn't give the look I wanted, so I ended up using the great old Persons saddle that Blake had on there in the first place. It ended up being perfect for the style I wanted.

003-2.jpg

005-3.jpg

009-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

014-4.jpg

004-1.jpg

The shape of these drop-outs is one of the main reasons I love these frames - and what better for something airplane-ish? :wink:
It rides great, and I'm lovin' the looks. I'm definitely diggin' it.

deviant said:
i dig it! almost seems like it needs a blue seat though :)

Funny you'd say that - here's my first "false start" on the build, with perfect-match blue roadie seat and sufficiently ratty apes:

048.jpg

I decided that although I liked the comfort and style of the apes, it wasn't the look I wanted, and even though the seat looked very cool and was identical in colour, it wasn't "vintage" looking enough. Now you've got me giving it a second thought! :lol:

Thanks a lot, guys. 8)

maddogrider said:
Hope your wheels are true. Your bike looks cool man :D

Ha! Noticed that tight clearance, huh? Yeah, the wheels are good, in fact the rear one is brand new, compliments of Blake. The only real adjusting it took to clear the tires was with that aftermarket chainguard, which was very minimal. I'm really pleased with the solid feeling and ride of the finished product here - no rattles, and very smooth.

Any other input on that blue seat vs. the black Persons???

Sweet! That blue seat is too skinny for that bike though. I've seen some blue & white Mesinger seats on ebay lately, basically a Schwinn seat without the "S". That might do it! -Adam

I'd like to see the flipped touring bars with that varsity stem!

As far as the saddle, I think a honey Brooks B17 would do the trick.

Rustinkerer said:
Sweet! That blue seat is too skinny for that bike though. I've seen some blue & white Mesinger seats on ebay lately, basically a Schwinn seat without the "S". That might do it! -Adam

ratina said:
Love all the chrome. Definitely needs a blue seat, but as someone else said that seats too small. Shame because it matches so well. I almost like the apes better too.

Yeah, it's too bad about the seat, because the style doesn't really match, but the colour is spot-on. I'll check out some of those Messingers, too, but I think they're a little too dark if they're original-type colours. Still, it might work - definitely more like the style I want. Thanks for the tip.
I'm not sold on the apes, though. Kind of comfortable, but not sure about the look...

blsm said:
I'd like to see the flipped touring bars with that varsity stem!
As far as the saddle, I think a honey Brooks B17 would do the trick.

You mean something like this? :mrgreen:

001-7.jpg

Funny, I had just changed things around last night, then read this post. That's actually a red Brooks B67, which in most light matches the red highlights on the frame really well. Not quite as "airplane-ish" this way, but an even better rider.

I like Blue-tired bikes 8)
P1180085.jpg

And I've found I like to match grips to the seat. :wink:

Just me but the first look is the best I think, but hope you dont hit a pot hole or keep a spoke wrench on your rides.
Nice Bike 8)

Back