skull-o sis (lights, camera, devilution! )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: skull-o sis (steering concept revealed)

thx guys, means a lot to me!
alright, its 5am and i just finished setting up the steering. my girlfriend loves the sound of grinding
metal in the wee hours of the night. NOT! :lol:

the morning started off right. i found this cool 1959 truck plate just down the street (garage sale, $0.05) london being my home town (for the time being)
IMG_3592.jpg

then i spent 2 hours driving around trying to find an l shape bolt (like a gate hanger) no luck anywhere.
eventually i settled on a piece of 3/8 thread rod. (nothing a propane torch and a couple pieces of pipe wont fix.) :)
IMG_3588.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

my brass tubing i'm using for a bushing finally came in.
IMG_3596.jpg

what do you guys think of my ratty steering wheel (vise grips?)

its just there for tomorrows test roll down the driveway. :)
IMG_3594.jpg

so here it is, a short vid clip of the steering in action.

stay tuned for tomorrows rolling down the drive vid. this thing should slither like a snake. :)

Re: skull-o sis (new steering clip/vid)

killer steering! how do you project to attach the bars? cut off the clamp of a stem and weld it on that steel tube? :D

stretch said:
killer steering! how do you project to attach the bars? cut off the clamp of a stem and weld it on that steel tube? :D

one of 2 ways
1. you guessed it, cut down the steel tube (1" above the seat post clamp) and weld on the clamp of a stem.
i'd still be able to disasemble the steering by removing the threaded L in the bottom of the tubes.

2 option, the drag wheel. my thoughts on attaching it are this are as follows
3/8 drive flex socket/knuckle.
baal-flex.jpg

i'd prefer the knuckle.
i'll weld a 3/8 drive in the steering tube so i can quick connect/disconnect the steering knuckle.
just behind the seat post i'll mount a steering wheel mount, then connect the 2 with a chromed socket extension (3/8" drive) it will allow me to remove the steering wheel just as easily.

that or the entire assembly can be welded in place (without the 3/8" drive sticking out of the steer tube. :)

just waiting for the rain to stop, to test it out in the driveway.

i thi9k the 3/8" socket on thne knuckle sounds good, but if you wheelie and pull to hard on the steering wheel, it may fly off an smack you in the forehead(complete catastrpohic failure) :shock:

no effort required for pulling wheelie's, ya just lean back on the seat. :)

i do however think there will be the same issue when the front wheel comes back to the ground.
depending on how hard ya hit, the bounce could pull the wheel from the steering shaft.
btw never, have i had a springer front end with so much flex! its like a spring board.lol

for that reason it will either be cotter pinned or the steering wheel mount itself will prevent you
from pulling off the wheel when ya don't want to.

using a plate as a pretend wheel, i'm convince the overall project will have nicer lines with the apes.
it needs something to balance out the very long/low front end and due to clearence for my knees,
the wheel just add's more height/mass to the rear of the bike.

i'm still rollin it around in the old cranium

deorman said:
How about a short section of larger diameter tubing pinned to the "column", that will except a regular stem?

i'd like to keep the stem, approx 1" above the frame (1/2" above the brass insert)
the original plan was to place a stem in the correct size inner/outter diameter tubing and insert the entire assembly into the seat post.
i didn't realize the seat post was a larger dia. below the top 3" and the steering just rattled around in the bottom.

hence the brass insert. :) with the thick walled brass, the inner diameter is much smaller than the original and the stem won't fit inside.
it will just be much easier to cut/weld an old stem to the pipe an inch above the frame.

i could cut back the bushing and do what you suggested inside the seatpost, but with the top 3" being the only part that actually holds the brass inplace/true, it would be nothing but a headache.

with no seat and a crappy pair of vise grips for steering,that don't lock well, i decided to take the bike for a boardwalk cruise instead of rolling down my driveway. (due to my over whelming response for my safty. :) )
heres a short clip of the steering. happy to say i'm pleased as punch! been fumbling around blind on this build, all trail and error.

Re: skull-o sis (rolling down the boardwalk steering vid)

So will handle bars be connected to the rod the vise grips are attached to for steering. :?:

Double Nickle said:
So will handle bars be connected to the rod the vise grips are attached to for steering. :?:

yup, about an inch above the brass.

Man, this build is insanely cool; totally love it. Looking forward to seeing the steering setup.

I hate to go off topic bit I'm going to put up a video clip of my suicide brakes soon if you want to check it out... Love the bike keep it up man!

Leigh, that is so FREAKIN' cool!! :mrgreen:

bikeriderx said:
Leigh, that is so FREAKIN' cool!! :mrgreen:

thanks bud! i'm so happy it worked the way i figured it would in my head. :)

thx for all the kind words guys! i appreciate it.

nickle, i'll be sure to check out the vid.

need some help boys and girls.

i need 8 exhaust pipes for my build.
i'm basicly looking for something similar to the tin portion of a bicycle horn.
1253-1733-main-638-58.jpg

i'd use the horns, but........ a. 8 horns would be expensive
b. i really hate the crimpped tin seam.

so i'm looking for something similar without the seam.

perhaps you have something in your garage, basement or kitchen. maybe you saw something similar at the dollar store last time you where there.

looking for idea's cause i'm drawing a blank. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Good to see the steering works without a lot of extra crap. If you find you need to dampen it I'd recommend McMaster Carr's hydraulic dampeners, but to keep the price down, you'd have to use 2.
I've seen a bike horn with the fluting you want, but it was only one and it is very old. It's currently on our forklift @ work. :(

Just throwing it out there,I have seen some Stainless champagne flute glasses at some of my local home discount stores like Marshalls,T.J. max,Bealls. I know you are in Can. but you might have some luck checking around.I will also try to check and see if I can still find some and take a pic for ya.
-Kreep-

I didn't want to say anything before, because nay-saying is pretty pointless. But I totally didn't think your steering was going to work. I'm so stoked you've pulled it off. This is a killer build.

Back