Skiptooth Coaster/Newer Hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a western flyer and want to have the skiptooth sprocket/coaster setup. I have the skiptooth coaster cog and sprocket ready but no wheels. On bike world usa, i am gonna get this. The question is will i be able to put the skiptooth coaster cog on that wheel? If so, what will i need? skiptooth coaster cog and anything else? Please let me know.

Thanks!

Skiptooth era sprockets are retained by a threaded ring, modern ones with a spring metal snap ring. It may be that some of them have the same size bendix screw as newer hubs, I don't know because I've never tried it. The grinding method mentioned by Sensor definitely works for rear sprockets.

I converted a red band 2-speed from 1/2" pitch chain to skip tooth. The red band cog is just pressed on. I "unpressed it" and threw it away as it was a 19 tooth and had a broken tooth. I got a donor skiptooth cog from an old New Departure hub. It was screwed on and I simply unscrewed it from the drive screw. I turned the inside of the cog on a lathe so that it would match the diameter of the red band drive screw. I pressed it on and then brazed it to make sure it would stay. I've used it for 15 yrs. now and it works great. Gary
IMG_1208.jpg

Back