Skiptooth and Spoke Length Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is a 2 part question and would greatly appreciate help on either.

I just recently got a skiptooth New Departure hub from Crassly and I need some pointers to get the threaded cog off. I was able to get the lockring off as this set up is identical to fixed hub. The hub isn't built to a wheel so I'm not really sure just how to unthread the cog without it being fixed to its wheel for leverage. Is a skiptooth chain whip needed for this or can this cog be removed without it? It's kind of quirky spot I am in because really I should have the wheel built to take off both the cog and lockring under normal circumstances, but in order to build the wheel, the cog has to be off the hub to properly lace the spokes... :shock: What to do? Here was my alternate thought...lace the wheel so that it's a complete piece, just not trued or heavily tightened. Rebuild the hub (now laced loosely into a rim) and then put it back in the stand to true and properly tighten and adjust the wheel build.

But here's another issue I have, I dont know or have the tools to properly get the spoke length. Unless already known, one of the measurements is from end of axle nut to center of hub, but my hub is already taken apart to be cleaned and serviced. :? Does anyone know what the spoke length is for a New Departure Model D skiptooth rear coaster to a 26" drop center wheel? I'm hoping SOMEONE knows, there is so much knowledge and bike talent on this forum it wouldnt surprise me. If you could help me out with either topics I would be grateful. Thanks so much. Gotta love a challenge! :mrgreen:

i do have a skippy new d (model d 2 speed)on triple drops..........i dont know if itd be the same for just single drops.......but if you want i can measure the spoke length

About unthreading the cog, it sounds like a job for the LBS.

Regarding spoke length, go to http://www.dtswiss.com and click on spoke calculator. Just type in the measurements and you'll have the right lengths in no time. The measurements can be a bit tricky, however. I like to make a mark at a center point on the shell between the outer nuts, so I can measure the flange to center distance easily. Also, finding out the "diameter" of the rim has a trick: it's the outer diameter, as seen from the nipples. Something like the inner diameter plus twice the rim thickness.

Let me know if you need help with the calculator. It's awkward the first time you use it, but a great tool.

Hugo

I think all ND cogs have a spoke slot in them so you can add or remove spokes with the hub assembled. You turn the cog until the slot lines up with the spoke hole. I think the spoke length is 10 5/8 inch, but hopefully somone will confirm that. I can measure a wheel tonight after work.

Crassly, thanks for the info, that makes things so much clearer to me now! I was wondering what that slot was for and questioned how the person got the hub out of the spokes with the cog still on. That's the length for a standard 3 cross build correct? Any ways, brilliant my good man, brilliant. Thanks! 8)

Does anyone know what the spoke length is for a New Departure Model D skiptooth rear coaster to a 26" drop center wheel?

You might want to try a local bike store thats been around for a while or take an original spoke to a local bike co-op. Spoke length can vary by mere millimeters and you'll need to be real close, if not exact to get the right match. An old bike store or co-op should have a big collection organized by lengths you can match an original spoke to. If you're mixing a different hub to an unintended rim there might be variation involved that will result in length disparity, for lack of a better term. The original hub might have a longer or shorter distance from the spoke head to the rim.

i just take my rim and hub to a lbs, this guy knows, alot don't an he will measure for me. sometimes i will buy spokes from him or elsewhere's. if not buying from him, give him a nice tip.

Outlaw 8)

Luckily I have a good friend who will build these wheels for me and just needs the parts to measure. Now that I know I can just build the wheel using the spoke slot in the rear cog, I can put the hub back together and give him the parts and continue with this build. Thanks to everyone for their input!

Back