Single speed versus 5 speed drop out spacing?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for the difference in drop out spacing between a single speed coaster brake and a 5 speed derailleur type. And does the 5 speed have more offset on the drive side dropout to make room for the gear cluster?Specifically Schwinn Cruisers from the late 70' - early 80's. Thanks!

In stead of dishing the wheel , could I run spacers between the bearing cone and jam nut to center the wheel? And thanks for the response!

I wound a 1980 Schwinn Cruiser, that was originally a 5 speed, but in its life it was converted to a single speed coaster brake, before I pull the trigger on it, I was just wondering if it would be a mistake to buy it. I don't plan on turning it back into a 5 speed, want to keep it a coaster brake set up. But not if it is going to be weird trying to get a wheel centered in it, or it has more chain stay offset on the drive side, might look weird!

I wound a 1980 Schwinn Cruiser, that was originally a 5 speed, but in its life it was converted to a single speed coaster brake, before I pull the trigger on it, I was just wondering if it would be a mistake to buy it. I don't plan on turning it back into a 5 speed, want to keep it a coaster brake set up. But not if it is going to be weird trying to get a wheel centered in it, or it has more chain stay offset on the drive side, might look weird!
Oh in that case, I'd just add a 5mm spacer to each side of the axle between the cone and lock nut. Or even just some washers

Latest posts

Back