Silver King with PICS

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I did a local trade. My recumbent for a mid 30's Monark Silver King. Its modernized with Cranbrook wheels and crank. Headbadge is on it. Neat bike. I will post pics tomorrow.
DSCI0314.jpg

DSCI0315.jpg

this next pic, I am hoping is where the seat stem bolt SHOULD be. Does anyone know if it goes straight in, or angled toward the center of the stem? I have my left-handed drill bits ready to drill....
DSCI0316.jpg

Its a real POS seat,too. I sit on it and it bottoms out, plus it feels like it rolls around. The Front spring should be a pivot,not a spring....its gonna get replaced. Looks good though!

so I broke the easy-out off flush in the broken bolt. Its hardened,so I cant drill it.At least not til I get to work for a carbide bit. Darnit! Took it for a ride, its sweet.

Voyager Al said:
so I broke the easy-out off flush in the broken bolt. Its hardened,so I cant drill it.At least not til I get to work for a carbide bit. Darnit! Took it for a ride, its sweet.

Sent you a PM.

Don't drill that PIN. The seat post bolt should be on the TOP of the SEAT POST under that SEAT. These bikes never had seat clamps they came with SEAT posts that have through bolts similar to a standard bike neck.

Hope this helps you out. Would hate to see you wreck the frame by drilling that pin.

Tin, I think I am gonna swap the wheels on my Phat Chopper. Its blue, these wheels match it well, and the Phat wheels are chrome. Well, 1 is, the rear is a Worksman with a Nexus 3 speed in it. Sorta brushed chrome finish. I'm gonna ride this, might as well have gears.

NOW that's a silverking!! Love the way they used aluminum so far back in time... :mrgreen:

Nyce :wink: This is a dream bike fer me. What are you hittin' the scales at lateley, cuz
that seat is sweet . Looks good ta me.....

If you sell the seat I might be interested depending on price , great looking bike , just get a large tube of semichrome polish & a case of beer and have at it

Im tipping the scales at 185.....shouldnt be bottoming seats out.
Outskirt, it feels fairly heavy,considering its aluminum.
I have polished it once, but it needs the cast parts done better. I may wetsand with 1000 grit, then polish with a mothers wheel.

I think I remember seeing a weight chart for these which put them around 42lbs. Considerably lighter than the 60+ of standard ballooners. Sweet bikes, I'd love a men's one but I'll do with the '35 Ladies I have for now. It's still an amazing piece of history to have survived so long.

Post a pic,Jpromo?? I rode it about 10 miles today. It rides real smooth, but the Messenger seat I put on sucks, so I rode down to Bicycle Heaven and bought a brown cushy seat. Much better on the way home

Voyager Al said:
Im tipping the scales at 185.....shouldnt be bottoming seats out.
Outskirt, it feels fairly heavy,considering its aluminum.
I have polished it once, but it needs the cast parts done better. I may wetsand with 1000 grit, then polish with a mothers wheel.

That would look awesome polished.

Back