SideHacked! Epilogue

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SideHacked! (O Sole Mio)

OK, today I managed the weekly bike shopping trip and got some felt for the deck. Sure does weigh less than my original idea of carpeting the thing. There's enough left over to line the storage comp. The storage comp. got the final holes drilled and a coat of primer on it. But it wouln't see any felt until final paint.

The deck is ready for final assembly, hopefully tommorow. I've got a bazillion bolts to cut to proper length, that was a problem in the robot building as well. Never could get just the right length.

Guys, I've gotta' say I'm runnin' out of gas on this project. It's way too complicated. I haven't even touched on lights yet, and time is running out. Nothing, and I do mean nothing else is getting done around here. My bathroom is an abomination. I just hope to get over the hump this weekend. And get the grass cut.

I believe you. A regular build is a huge time drain, but I think the added complexities of a sidecar make it a tough Build Off build. Of course you elevated that when you threw in the automated clamshell and stuff. :p

kingfish254 said:
I believe you. A regular build is a huge time drain, but I think the added complexities of a sidecar make it a tough Build Off build.

I concur.

Re: SideHacked!

Im' puttin' the finishing touches on the car and hope to be done with major constuction this weekend (grass IS cut!). Got the rear hatch done and fitted with some cool latches, they swing out as you flip the lever. Fender brackets are done, although it was a bit of a hackfest. Weather is not paint friendly so it'll have to wait until later in the week
I've had the clamshell mounted and running on the sliders. It's a bit herky-jerky, but if you've ever watched anything out of Hollywood '70's and earlier, you can see what those special effects folks had to go thru. At least it works, I just don't know for how long.

829.jpg

828.jpg

827.jpg

826.jpg

Had the baby in the seat and took some pics to see how she fit.

831.jpg

Plenty of room.

Now THAT is some PRECIOUS cargo!!!!!

I got the windshield mounts done and the grills in, nothing like a little bailing wire.

835.jpg

834.jpg

I also started cutting out the top panel, but it doesn't photo well as a flat piece and I'll just say it's a pain to do. Heat of the day once again brought work to a close.

Top's on

838.jpg

837.jpg

836.jpg

I'm finally see'n light at the end of the tunnel.

Ladies and gentlemen, presenting.
The Doors.

844.jpg

And like one of their hits, this marks The End of construction. Time is getting short and we're expecting rain all week, so finding time to paint is gonna' be tough.

Here's a happy accident, when layed back on the storage cabinet, the underside is easy to get to.

845.jpg

All mocked up.

843.jpg

842.jpg

841.jpg

Body closed
839.jpg

Body open. I can see her just climbing in some day.
840.jpg

Re: SideHacked! Well, it's together

WOW!! That is so very cool!!!!!
Have you already picked out some little baby goggles and leathers???

Re: SideHacked! Now in Pieces

I'm pressed for time today, but things are getting done. I have a feeling I'll be taking final photos with wet paint! Got the rear dropout adaptors cut out and their cover plates.
850.jpg

No fancy machinery here, this was cut out with a jig saw, then filed.
849.jpg

848.jpg

847.jpg

Lights are something of a cop-out. Since I dont have a lot of time, I stole the lights off of Cinco. My original taillite has come up missing.
851.jpg

853.jpg

The battery box.
852.jpg

I really didn't have a good plan for the seams, so duct tape it is! :D
846.jpg

Wow, nice machining on those drop extensions!!!!!

More electrical work today. Got the control panel done and the wiring strung thru the frame. I originally wanted to do a tank, but with some paint magic I should have the next best thing. Lever is for parking brake.
855.jpg

I also have the proverbial wire thru the bottom bracket. :wink:
854.jpg

There is a wire in every major tube but the head and the seat.

thats one lucky kid!! way cool build

Electric panel is wired. I went with a '70's theme with brush aluminum, wood grain and vintage LEDs. And as an added bonus, underside green neons.

Also got the frame sanded.
861.jpg

Here's a train wreck for ya, I plan on having a 5 amp fuse on this stuff!
860.jpg

Neon holder/guard.
859.jpg

858.jpg

Put some jeweling on the lite bracket, it was fairly bland.
857.jpg

There is a LOT of work in this build!!!!!!
Keep rolling dude, I know you can do it before the deadline!!!
Love this build!!

Finished up the battery box, and painted out the sidecar wheel.
862.jpg

863.jpg

Also got the doors sanded and insides painted black. We're getting a few days of paintin' weather tommorow so it'll be a paint party.

Re: SideHacked! Paintapaloza

Paintapaloza goes on and I still MAY make it. I'm really not happy with the paint, but time is short and it is what it is. It's a little more Jake Sensi and little less Peatbog. :( While both styles have there merits, I'd rather lean to the later on THIS project. Next year I'm definitely goin' Jake. :D it seems whenever you rattle can large surfaces you end up with a blotchy surface. I can't wait until I have a compressor and a paint gun.

Back